Solve Physics Problems: Moon, Sun, Springs & Conical Mound

Please do not post the same question more than once. Originally posted by gigi9 In summary, a person on Earth who can jump with enough initial velocity to rise 5ft would rise (a) approximately 0.83ft on the moon and (b) approximately 145ft on the sun. For the second problem, the natural length of the spring can be found by solving for the spring constant k using the given information and then using it to calculate the natural length. For the third problem, the work done by the slaves can be found using the integral 1/2h*M, where h is the height of the mound and M is the total weight of the finished mound. It is recommended to post these problems
gigi9
Someone please help me how to do these problems below. Thanks a lot for your help.
1) On the surface of the moon the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 1/6 the sun at the surface of the earth, and on the surface of the sun it is approximately 29 times as great as at the surface of the earth. If a person on Earth can jump with enough initial velocity to rise 5ft, how high wil the same initail velocity carry that person (a) on the moon? (b) on the sun?
***I had s= -16t^2+ int. v*t+ int. s
s=5, int.s=0...what should I find, how do I do this problem?

2) Find the natural length of a spring if the work done in stretching it from a length of 2ft to the length of 3ft is one-fourth the work done in stretching it from 3ft to 5ft.
**Force=k*x,k is a constants, what I did was the force of stretching from 2ft-3ft is F1=k*1ft, F2=4*F1...not sure if I started out right...please show me how to do it.

3) A great conical mound of height h is built by the slaves of an oriental monarch, to commemorate a victory over the barbarians. If the slaves simply heap up uniform material found at ground level, and if the total weight of the finished mound is M, show that the work they do is 1/2h*M
**I'm totally stuck w/ this problem..what integral should i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you post this to the homework forum and show as much as you can about what you have already done and what you do understand about each problem.

For example you say "***I had s= -16t^2+ int. v*t+ int. s
s=5, int.s=0". What do each of those letters and numbers stand for? In particular, where did that "-16" come from?

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
I would suggest that you post this to the homework forum and show as much as you can about what you have already done and what you do understand about each problem.

gigi9 already posted this question to the College Help forum two days ago, and I posted an answer. Perhaps it wasn't satisfactory.

Originally posted by gigi9
Someone please help me how to do these problems below. Thanks a lot for your help.
1) On the surface of the moon the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 1/6 the sun at the surface of the earth, and on the surface of the sun it is approximately 29 times as great as at the surface of the earth. If a person on Earth can jump with enough initial velocity to rise 5ft, how high wil the same initail velocity carry that person (a) on the moon? (b) on the sun?
***I had s= -16t^2+ int. v*t+ int. s
s=5, int.s=0...what should I find, how do I do this problem?

2) Find the natural length of a spring if the work done in stretching it from a length of 2ft to the length of 3ft is one-fourth the work done in stretching it from 3ft to 5ft.
**Force=k*x,k is a constants, what I did was the force of stretching from 2ft-3ft is F1=k*1ft, F2=4*F1...not sure if I started out right...please show me how to do it.

3) A great conical mound of height h is built by the slaves of an oriental monarch, to commemorate a victory over the barbarians. If the slaves simply heap up uniform material found at ground level, and if the total weight of the finished mound is M, show that the work they do is 1/2h*M
**I'm totally stuck w/ this problem..what integral should i use?

If you really want a good reply,

Make sure you state your problems clearer by using TEX notation, or some other "Reading friendly" notations.

1. How does the moon's gravitational pull affect the Earth?

The moon's gravitational pull is responsible for creating ocean tides on Earth. This is because the moon's gravitational force is strong enough to pull on the water on Earth's surface, causing it to bulge towards the moon.

2. How does the sun's gravity impact the Earth and other planets?

The sun's gravity keeps all the planets in our solar system in their orbits. It is also responsible for keeping the Earth at a specific distance from the sun, which allows for the perfect conditions for life to exist on our planet.

3. How do springs work?

Springs work by storing potential energy when they are stretched or compressed. When a force is applied to stretch or compress the spring, it stores energy in the form of potential energy. This stored energy is then released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of a pendulum is: T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by gravity?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by gravity because gravity constantly pulls the object towards the ground. This causes the object to follow a curved path, known as a parabola, instead of a straight line.