What Factors Affect the Efficiency of a Siphon?

• Thread starter lapsaJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary: I think there are a few reasons. Firstly, the pressure inside the tube is higher at the narrow end than the wide end. This means the fluid is forced to flow in a narrower channel, and the pressure difference causes the flow rate to be higher. Secondly, the fluid is flowing at a much higher speed in a long thin tube than a short thick tube. This means the flow is turbulent, and the pressure waves travel around the tube faster than they do in a thicker tube.
lapsaJ
(Hope this is in the right forum)

For my A Level coursework I have to do a practical investigation. I'm thinking of doing one looking at the efficiency of a siphon.

One relationship I am going to be looking at is the rate of flow vs height (difference between the two water levels).

Now I'm having a bit of difficulty thinking what else I can look at to give it some decent scope. My teacher hasn't seen this done before so we're a bit uncertain whether it's worth taking forward.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've chosen a rather difficult subject. The flow of liquids in pipes ( fluid dynamics) is a whole branch of physics with more equations than I could shake a stick at.

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of applying Bernouilli's equation to the separate parts to derive the flow rate, and possibly the maximum height.

Would it be worth varying the diameter of the siphon tube?

lapsaJ said:
Would it be worth varying the diameter of the siphon tube?

Yes it would. (You might expect the flow would be proportional to the cross section area of the tube, but it won't be, for long thin tubes).

Read up a bit about flow in pipes and the effects of viscosity, laminar and turbulent flow, and Reynolds number before you get into this. Otherwise, you will have a very hard time understanding your measurements.

It won't make a very good project when (not if!) you show that Bernoulli's equation doesn't fit any of your results, but you don't have any understanding of WHY that is the case.

AlephZero said:
Yes it would. (You might expect the flow would be proportional to the cross section area of the tube, but it won't be, for long thin tubes).

Read up a bit about flow in pipes and the effects of viscosity, laminar and turbulent flow, and Reynolds number before you get into this. Otherwise, you will have a very hard time understanding your measurements.

It won't make a very good project when (not if!) you show that Bernoulli's equation doesn't fit any of your results, but you don't have any understanding of WHY that is the case.

Why isn't the diameter of the siphon tube proportional to the rate of flow for long thin tubes? I am just reading up on theories behind the siphon from journals etc..Just wondering why that's the case (altering the diameter).

Thanks

1. What is a siphon?

A siphon is a tube that allows liquid to flow from a higher point to a lower point, using the force of gravity to pull the liquid through the tube.

2. How does a siphon work?

A siphon works by creating a vacuum in the tube, which causes the liquid to be pulled up and over a barrier, such as the edge of a container, and then down to a lower point.

3. What affects the efficiency of a siphon?

The efficiency of a siphon is affected by several factors, including the height difference between the two ends of the tube, the diameter and length of the tube, and the density and viscosity of the liquid being siphoned.

4. What is the maximum height a siphon can work?

The maximum height a siphon can work depends on the atmospheric pressure and the density of the liquid being siphoned. In most cases, a siphon can work up to a height of 33 feet (10 meters).

5. Can a siphon be used to move any type of liquid?

A siphon can be used to move most liquids, but the efficiency may vary depending on the density and viscosity of the liquid. For example, thicker liquids may require a wider and shorter tube to improve efficiency.