Problem finding average density

In summary, the problem involves a balloon with a total mass of 2.0 kg and a volume of 5.0 m^3, with air as the enclosed gas. The density of the balloon and gas combined is 0.4 kg/m^3. There may be confusion about the type of gas inside the balloon, but based on the given information, it is likely air. The next steps may involve determining if the balloon will float or sink and finding the buoyant force and net force on the balloon.
NeRdHeRd

Homework Statement

Can anyone help me with this problem?

A balloon is released from a tall building. The total mass of the balloon including the enclosed gas is 2.0 kg. Its volume is 5.0 m^3. The density of air is 1.3 kg/m^3. What is the average density of the balloon?

2. The attempt at a solution

MY ATTEMPT:

density = mass/volume = 2/5 = .4 This is the density of the balloon and gas.

I'm tempted to leave this answer as it is but it just doesn't seem right.

I thought if I added the density of the air to the density of the balloon and then divided by two I would get and average.

EX. 1.3 + 0.4 = 1.7... 1.7/2 = 0.85 kg/m^3

Does this seem logical to you or are there some steps that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused by the problem. "balloon" can either mean "rubber balloon + whatever's inside" or "rubber balloon". If the first definition is true, then your first answer of .4 kg/m^3 is correct.

If the second definition is true, you would find the mass of the air inside of a balloon of volume 5.0 m^3, assuming that the air inside the balloon has the same density as the air in the atmosphere. The problem is that then the air inside would seem to have more mass than both the air and the balloon together, which is nonsense.

In any event, you can't just add two quantities together and divide by two to get an average. That only works if you have two individual things. You would find the total mass of the system and the total volume of the system and divide one by the other.

In any event, you can't just add two quantities together and divide by two to get an average. That only works if you have two individual things to be weighted equally in the averaging.

It is still possible to calculate a weighted average denstiy, as long as you weight each item with its share of the total volume.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the problem does not state what type of gas is inside the balloon. But it does state that the total mass of the balloon and gas combined is 2.0 kg. I'm not sure if I should assume that the balloon is filled with air and not some other gas.

I'd assume it's air, especially since the problem states its density.

EnumaElish said:
I'd assume it's air, especially since the problem states its density.

If that is the case then I'm completely confused. I guess since mass = density*volume the mass of the air inside the balloon would be 1.3 * 5 = 6.5 which is more than the combine mass of the air and balloon. I'M STUMPED!

I think everyone's over-complicating this. You were correct the first time. Density = mass/volume. = .4kg/m^3.

The fact that you were given the density of air suggests to me that next, you're going to decide if this balloon will float away or sink to the ground. And, perhaps you'll also be asked to find the buoyant force and net force on the balloon.

1. What is average density?

Average density is a measure of the amount of mass per unit of volume in a given substance or material. It is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How do you calculate average density?

Average density is calculated by dividing the total mass of a substance by its total volume. The formula for average density is: Average Density = Mass/Volume.

3. Why is average density important?

Average density is important because it can provide valuable information about the physical properties of a substance. It can also be used to identify and distinguish between different materials.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating average density?

Calculating average density has many real-life applications, such as in the fields of engineering, geology, and chemistry. It is used to design structures, determine the composition of rocks and minerals, and to identify unknown substances.

5. How does temperature affect average density?

Temperature can affect average density because it can cause a substance to expand or contract, thus changing its volume. This can result in a change in the substance's average density. For example, as the temperature of water increases, its density decreases, causing it to expand and become less dense.