Power & Heaters: Calculating Absorbed Power

• Thread starter jakey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the problem involves a heater rated at 2000W operating at 250V being used on a supply of 230V. The resistance of the heater is not affected by temperature. The equation used to solve the problem is P=V^2/R, where R is calculated to be (230^2)/2000. The final answer for the power absorbed by the heater when operating at 230V is found by substituting V=230V into the equation, resulting in a different power value than the rated 2000W.
jakey

Homework Statement

A heater rated at 2000W operating at 250V is used on a supple of 230V. if the resistance of the heater will not be affected by temp, what is the power absorbed by the heater?

Homework Equations

i think that the only equation to use will be P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

because the resistance of the heater is its internal property, i would first compute for the resistance from: R=(230^2)/2000. afterwhich, i would compute the power absorbed by the heater through: V=250-230=20 -> P = (20^2)/R which will be computed from the previous equation. is this right?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jakey said:
R=(230^2)/2000

Not quite. At 230 V, the power will be different than 2000 W.

A heater rated at 2000W operating at 250V ...
So, P is 2000W when V=?

Redbelly98 said:
Not quite. At 230 V, the power will be different than 2000 W.

So, P is 2000W when V=?

oh sorry. so, i think it shouldve been R=V^2/P and V=250V while P=2000W.

so, the power when it operates at 230V is simply P= 230^2/R and the answer I would subtract from 2000W? is it right? thanks

jakey said:
oh sorry. so, i think it shouldve been R=V^2/P and V=250V while P=2000W.

so, the power when it operates at 230V is simply P= 230^2/R
Yes, correct up to this point.

and the answer I would subtract from 2000W? is it right? thanks
Uh, no. The problem statement asks for the power when V=230V. So just use the power you get from
P= 230^2/R​
... and that's the final answer.

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, correct up to this point.

Uh, no. The problem statement asks for the power when V=230V. So just use the power you get from
P= 230^2/R​
... and that's the final answer.

lol, i misinterpreted the question. thanks, really!:D

What is the equation for calculating absorbed power?

The equation for calculating absorbed power is P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms.

Does the type of heater affect the absorbed power?

Yes, the type of heater can affect the absorbed power. Different types of heaters have different efficiencies and may require different amounts of power to heat a space.

How does the size of a room impact the absorbed power?

The size of a room can impact the absorbed power, as a larger room will require more power to heat compared to a smaller room. This is because a larger space has more volume to heat up.

What is the role of insulation in calculating absorbed power?

Insulation can play a significant role in calculating absorbed power. A well-insulated room will require less power to heat compared to a poorly insulated room, as the insulation helps to retain heat and reduces heat loss.

Is absorbed power the same as output power?

No, absorbed power and output power are not the same. Absorbed power is the amount of power required to operate a heater, while output power is the amount of heat produced by the heater. The efficiency of the heater can affect the ratio of absorbed power to output power.