D'Arcy-Weisbach pressure loss in Excel

In summary, the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation is a commonly used empirical formula for calculating pressure loss in a fluid flow system. In Excel, the equation can be written as ΔP = f * (L/D) * (ρ * V^2/2), where ΔP is the pressure loss, f is the friction factor, L is the length of the pipe, D is the pipe diameter, ρ is the density of the fluid, and V is the fluid velocity. The friction factor, f, can be calculated using the Colebrook-White equation, and the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation can be used for all types of fluid flow, including laminar, transitional, and turbulent flow.
bsharp
Hello,

I am working on making an Excel work book to aid in figuring out pressure drops in a system. I am trying to use the Darcy Weisbach equation for pressure loss.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/darcy-weisbach-equation-d_646.html"

In Excel I have
=(C4*(C5/C6))*((C7+(SQRT(C8)))/2)

C4= Friction coefficient
C5= Length of pipe
C6= Hydraulic dia
C7= Density
C8= Velocity

Please help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bsharp said:
In Excel I have
=(C4*(C5/C6))*((C7+(SQRT(C8)))/2)

Should be

=(C4*(C5/C6))*((C7*(C8*C8))/2)

I hate it when that happens :)

1. What is the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation for pressure loss in Excel?

The D'Arcy-Weisbach equation is a commonly used empirical formula for calculating pressure loss in a fluid flow system. In Excel, the equation can be written as ΔP = f * (L/D) * (ρ * V2/2), where ΔP is the pressure loss, f is the friction factor, L is the length of the pipe, D is the pipe diameter, ρ is the density of the fluid, and V is the fluid velocity.

2. How do you calculate the friction factor in the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation in Excel?

The friction factor, f, can be calculated using the Colebrook-White equation, which is a function of the Reynolds number and the relative roughness of the pipe. In Excel, the equation can be written as 1/sqrt(f) = -2 * log((ε / (3.7 * D)) + (2.51 / (Re * sqrt(f)))), where ε is the pipe roughness and Re is the Reynolds number.

3. Can the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation be used for all types of fluid flow?

Yes, the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation can be used for all types of fluid flow, including laminar, transitional, and turbulent flow. However, it is most accurate for turbulent flow, which is the most common type of flow in real-world systems.

4. How does the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation account for fittings and valves in a pipe system?

The D'Arcy-Weisbach equation includes a factor, known as the equivalent length factor, to account for the additional pressure loss caused by fittings and valves in a pipe system. This factor is multiplied by the length of the pipe in the equation to incorporate the effects of these components.

5. Are there any limitations to using the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation in Excel?

While the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation is a widely used and accurate method for calculating pressure loss, it does have some limitations. It assumes steady, incompressible, and fully developed flow, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, accurate values for the friction factor and equivalent length factor may be difficult to obtain for certain systems.