What software was used to plot this diagram of morse potential

In summary, the conversation is about a diagram of the morse potential on Wikipedia and the software used to create it. Suggestions were made to use R or matplotlib, with the suggestion of using a drawing program for the spring in the dumbbell.
dkin
Hi all,

I recently saw a very nice diagram of the morse potential on wikipedia

520px-Morse-potential.png

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions as to how this diagram was made? What software package was used? In particular how the actual morse curve was plotted.

Physics news on Phys.org
dkin said:
Hi all,

I recently saw a very nice diagram of the morse potential on wikipedia

520px-Morse-potential.png

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions as to how this diagram was made? What software package was used? In particular how the actual morse curve was plotted.

Well, if I were to make this plot, I would use R. It could do everything on the plot fairly easily, with the exception of the spring in the dumbbell. I would do that in a drawing program, and take a screen shot and embed it in the R plot.

It's very do-able with matplotlib, too.

What software was used to plot this diagram of morse potential?

The software used to plot this diagram of morse potential is called "Origin".

Is Origin a free software?

No, Origin is not a free software. It is a commercial software developed and sold by OriginLab Corporation.

Can other software be used to plot this diagram?

Yes, there are other software programs that can be used to plot a diagram of morse potential, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Gnuplot.

What are the advantages of using Origin for plotting this diagram?

Origin has a user-friendly interface and a wide range of tools and features specifically designed for scientific data analysis and graphing. It also has the ability to handle large datasets and produce high-quality publication-ready graphs.

Can Origin be used for other types of scientific data analysis?

Yes, Origin is a versatile software that can be used for various types of scientific data analysis, including curve fitting, statistical analysis, image processing, and more.