Ideas for a Physics Experiment?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to come up with an idea for a physics experiment for a school project. They are interested in computers but are limited by their teacher's requirement for data on physical quantities. Other interests that they mention are soccer and music. The speaker is open to suggestions and feels bad asking for ideas.
Drumz
Hi everyone, I have a project in school coming up where I need to come up with my own idea for a physics experiment, record data on said experiment, and report my findings to the class in a presentation. I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do, as I want to do something that I'd actually be interested in. My main interest is computers, but I can't think of any experiment that I could do with computers that would involve recording data.

Also, my teacher would like for our experiment to have data that are physical quantities (acceleration, velocity, mass, etc.), so that also rules out many things I could do with computers. We also have to make tables and graphs of the data.

The only other main interests that come to mind that I could maybe do an experiment on are soccer and music.

I feel bad asking for ideas, but I can't think of anything!

Thanks a lot!

If this is in the wrong section, sorry!

EDIT:
Some extra info:
- High school level physics course
- Mostly focused on energy, kinematics, dynamics, and circular motion

Physics news on Phys.org
Drumz said:
Hi everyone, I have a project in school coming up where I need to come up with my own idea for a physics experiment, record data on said experiment, and report my findings to the class in a presentation. I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do, as I want to do something that I'd actually be interested in. My main interest is computers, but I can't think of any experiment that I could do with computers that would involve recording data.

Also, my teacher would like for our experiment to have data that are physical quantities (acceleration, velocity, mass, etc.), so that also rules out many things I could do with computers.
Nah, you could also drop a number of computers of the top of a building and see how many pieces it break into! (Joke, that was a joke! Don't do it!)

We also have to make tables and graphs of the data.

The only other main interests that come to mind that I could maybe do an experiment on are soccer and music.
Okay, how about hitting a soccer ball with various forces and measuring how far they go. You will need to think about how to measure the various forces. Or blocking a taut piano wire at various points and measuring the tone produced.

I feel bad asking for ideas, but I can't think of anything!

Thanks a lot!

If this is in the wrong section, sorry!

EDIT:
Some extra info:
- High school level physics course
- Mostly focused on energy, kinematics, dynamics, and circular motion

1. What are some easy physics experiments I can do at home?

There are many simple physics experiments that can be done at home with everyday materials. Some ideas include making a paper airplane and testing how far it can fly, creating a pendulum with a string and a weight to observe its motion, or using a ruler and a glass of water to explore the concept of refraction.

2. How can I come up with a unique idea for a physics experiment?

One way to come up with a unique idea for a physics experiment is to think about everyday problems or phenomena that you are curious about. You can also research current news and advancements in the field of physics for inspiration, or try combining different concepts to create something new.

3. What materials do I need for a physics experiment?

The materials needed for a physics experiment will depend on the specific experiment you are conducting. Some common materials include measuring tools such as rulers and thermometers, household items like paper clips and rubber bands, and basic science equipment such as magnets and lenses.

4. Can I conduct a physics experiment without a lab or specialized equipment?

Yes, there are many physics experiments that can be done without a lab or specialized equipment. These experiments may involve using everyday materials and household items to explore different concepts in physics. However, if you are interested in more advanced experiments, access to a lab and specialized equipment may be necessary.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my physics experiment?

Safety is an important aspect of conducting any experiment, particularly in the field of physics where some experiments may involve hazardous materials or equipment. To ensure safety, always carefully read and follow instructions, wear appropriate protective gear when necessary, and have adult supervision for experiments that may pose a higher risk.