Nitrogen Systems: First Positive, Second Positive, First Negative

In summary: The designation negative and positive groups (or bands) refer to the occurrence of these bands in the negative glow or the positive column, respectively, of an electric discharge. The positive groups are due to the neutral molecule, the negative groups to the singly positively charged molecular ion. Unfortunately, this was the OP's only post, and he/she hasn't come back since May 29, 2012.
Yohan24
What is the "first positive", "second positive", "first negative" systems of nitrogen

Hello,
I have been trying to catch up on spectroscopy theory, and I'm trying to get a grasp on what all the terms mean. I constantly seem the terms "first positive system", etc... coming up, and I'm not sure I understand what that means in terms of the transitions that are taking place, what state the molecule is in and so on. I've looked all over but it seems most articles that I find take it for granted that everyone knows what these things mean. Maybe I'm over thinking, or not thinking at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
- Y

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Yohan24,

I am literally searching for the same thing and I found the following paper talks a bit about the first positive and second positive(at p118)
http://www.stanford.edu/group/Zarelab/publinks/13.pdf

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you find anything in more detail. Thanks!

Cheers,
hggreen

In G. Herzberg, Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure. I. Spectra of Diatomic Molecules (Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1950), footnote on page 51:
The designation negative and positive groups (or bands) refer to the occurrence of these bands in the negative glow or the positive column, respectively, of an electric discharge. The positive groups are due to the neutral molecule, the negative groups to the singly positively charged molecular ion.

Unfortunately, this was the OP's only post, and he/she hasn't come back since May 29, 2012.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, this was the OP's only post, and he/she hasn't come back since May 29, 2012.

Zz.

I saw that, but I answered anyway as the information seemed of interest to hggreen.

Thank you DrClaude! That helps a lot.

-hggreen

DrClaude said:
In G. Herzberg, Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure. I. Spectra of Diatomic Molecules (Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1950), footnote on page 51:

What are nitrogen systems?

Nitrogen systems are systems that use nitrogen gas for various purposes, such as preserving food, cooling machinery, or creating an inert atmosphere for chemical reactions.

What is the first positive nitrogen system?

The first positive nitrogen system refers to a system in which nitrogen gas is used to create a positive pressure, preventing contamination from outside air or other gases.

What is the second positive nitrogen system?

The second positive nitrogen system is a more advanced version of the first positive system, in which multiple stages of nitrogen gas filtration are used to achieve a higher level of purity and pressure control.

What is the first negative nitrogen system?

The first negative nitrogen system involves using nitrogen gas to create a negative pressure, which helps to remove or prevent the presence of oxygen or other unwanted gases in a certain environment or process.

What are the benefits of using nitrogen systems?

Nitrogen systems offer a wide range of benefits, including increased safety, improved product quality, reduced costs, and greater efficiency in various industrial processes. They also have minimal impact on the environment and can be easily integrated into existing systems.