Standard Gibbs energy change definition

In summary, the conversation is discussing the expression relating the equilibrium constant K to the change in Gibbs energy and the motivation behind defining the change in Gibbs energy of reaction. The reason for defining the change in Gibbs energy is to make it easier to calculate the equilibrium constant and to reduce the amount of data needed for tabulation.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello

I am working on deriving the expression relating the equilibrium constant K to the change in Gibbs energy.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1398545831.111039.jpg

This part seems to be followed okay, but here

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1398545881.420781.jpg

I am not following why the change in Gibbs energy of reaction is defined this way. I can see why K is defined in a way because it's just easier to write K than the whole expression. I'm troubled by the fact that I can define something physical like the change in gibbs energy of a reaction. This definition has more meaning than simply that it's easier to write, but I'm not quite coming to the intended conclusion.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
Hello

I am working on deriving the expression relating the equilibrium constant K to the change in Gibbs energy.

View attachment 69123

This part seems to be followed okay, but here

View attachment 69124

I am not following why the change in Gibbs energy of reaction is defined this way. I can see why K is defined in a way because it's just easier to write K than the whole expression. I'm troubled by the fact that I can define something physical like the change in gibbs energy of a reaction. This definition has more meaning than simply that it's easier to write, but I'm not quite coming to the intended conclusion.

The motivation is this: If you know the free energies of formation of the reactants and products participating in any reaction, then you can calculate the equilibrium constant. On the other hand, if you wanted to tabulate equilibrium constants, then you would have a table of a zillion items because each reactant or product could participate in a huge number of reactions. But, by tabulating the free energies of formation of the substances, the amount of data you need to tabulate is much more limited, especially for common substances. That's why tabulation of the free energies of formation of substances is so useful and convenient.

Chet

1. What is the definition of Standard Gibbs energy change?

The Standard Gibbs energy change is a measure of the change in free energy of a chemical reaction under standard conditions, which are defined as a temperature of 298 K (25°C), a pressure of 1 bar, and a concentration of 1 mol/L for all reactants and products.

2. How is Standard Gibbs energy change different from Standard enthalpy change?

Standard Gibbs energy change takes into account both the enthalpy (heat) and entropy (disorder) changes of a reaction, while Standard enthalpy change only considers the enthalpy change. This is because Gibbs energy accounts for the effects of temperature on entropy, while enthalpy does not.

3. What is the significance of Standard Gibbs energy change in chemical reactions?

Standard Gibbs energy change allows us to determine the spontaneity and direction of a chemical reaction. A negative value indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction. The magnitude of the value also tells us the extent to which the reaction will proceed.

4. How is the Standard Gibbs energy change related to equilibrium constant?

The Standard Gibbs energy change is related to the equilibrium constant (K) by the equation ΔG° = -RTlnK, where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation shows that the value of K is directly related to the magnitude of ΔG°, with a larger K value indicating a more favorable reaction.

5. Can Standard Gibbs energy change be measured experimentally?

No, Standard Gibbs energy change cannot be directly measured in an experiment. It is a theoretical quantity that is calculated using thermodynamic data, such as enthalpy and entropy values, for the reactants and products. However, the change in Gibbs energy (ΔG) can be measured experimentally and can be used to calculate ΔG° under non-standard conditions.