Multiplexers for 500 pixel sensor

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a 500 pixel sensor array and displaying it on an LED or LCD screen. The speaker is considering using a manually bonded array with a metal sensor that changes resistance. They mention the use of a multiplexer to quickly scan each pixel and run it through an amp meter. They also mention the availability of pre-made units for a lower cost.
rppearso
Hello,

What is the best multiplexer to use if I want to manually create a 500 pixel sensor array and display it on to an LED or LCD screen?

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are your sensor outputs analog or digital? Can your sensors be switched to high impedance like a tri-state?

Do you have a particular sensor type or part number in mind?
Is it a swept linear array or a fixed rectangular array of sensors?

I was thinking of manually bonding together the various layers requried to build a bolo meter and using tiny drills and cutting tools to generate an array. I simulated it out on paper with a chip to see how small I could make things. The sensor would just a metal that would be changing resistance which would change the current for a given voltage source. Then an amp meter would have to be placed on it that would feed to the micro controler.

The multiplexer would very quickly scan each pixel and run it though the amp meter at a refresh rate faster than the human eye could detect on the LCD screen.

Since I wrote this I discovered that flir units have come down to about 4000 and it would cost me probably 1500 to make my own and would nto be quite as good. I am still intelllecually curious if my idea could work though.

I would first need more information about the specific requirements and parameters of your project in order to provide a comprehensive response. In general, there are a variety of multiplexers available on the market that could potentially be suitable for your needs. Some factors to consider when selecting a multiplexer include the desired number of inputs and outputs, the voltage and current requirements, and the speed and resolution of the sensor. Additionally, the type of LED or LCD screen you plan to use may also impact the choice of multiplexer. It is important to carefully research and compare different options to determine the best fit for your specific project.

1. What is a multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor?

A multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor is a device that selects and combines multiple inputs from individual pixels in a sensor and outputs them as a single signal.

2. How does a multiplexer work with a 500 pixel sensor?

A multiplexer works by sequentially scanning each pixel in a sensor and converting the analog signal from each pixel into a digital signal before combining them into a single output.

3. What are the benefits of using a multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor?

Using a multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor allows for a more efficient and organized way of collecting data from each individual pixel in the sensor. It also reduces the number of required connections and simplifies the overall design of the sensor.

4. Can a multiplexer be used for sensors with more than 500 pixels?

Yes, multiplexers can be used for sensors with varying numbers of pixels. The number of pixels a multiplexer can handle depends on the specific model and design.

5. Are there any limitations to using a multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor?

One limitation of using a multiplexer for a 500 pixel sensor is that the scanning and conversion process may introduce some delay in the output signal. This can affect the accuracy of the data collected from the sensor.