Why are Cl atoms more chemically active than Cl- ion?

• Thread starter ghallya
  • Start date
In summary, Cl atoms are more reactive than Cl- ions because they have more electrons in their valence shell. Na atoms are more reactive than Na+ ions because they have a free electron in their valence shell.
ghallya
Hi , I have an other question , I know Its a stupid question to you brialliant ppl :shy:
but I hope I find the answer here

why are Cl atoms more chemically active than Cl- ion ?
and why are Na atoms more chemically active than Na+ ion ?

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
The ions have closed shells. It is difficult to add or remove an electron, or even share one covalently.

thanx for ur reply Meir , but can u give me a more detailed answer
with some explanations

I am not a chemist. Ask on a chem forum or read a chem text.

ok thanks , give me alink that can help me , please

Suggestion to mentors: Possibly move to chemistry forums?

~H

think the octet rule, and read up on it.

ghallya said:
Hi , I have an other question , I know Its a stupid question to you brialliant ppl :shy:

thanx
This results directly from the Octet rule. Write the electronic configurations of these atoms/ions - you will see that Cl- and Na+ have 8 electrons each in the valence shell. This is the magic number needed to maximize the stability of the atom/ion (ie : make the total potential energy of the system = sum of all electron-nucleus interaction energies + electron-electron interaction energies as negative as possible).

thhhhhhhanx very much Gokul43201

I really appreciate your help

ghallya said:
Hi ,

thanx

Read Peter Atkins book The Periodic Kingdom http://tinyurl.com/ol6lq pages 171-173 for an explanation of the differences in reactivity of Na / Na+ and Cl/Cl-.

thanx crabslover
I want you all to know , that our books or differnt than your books
and its written in the cover (not for sale in th US )
I don't know why , but we don't understand simple things because we are not that good in english but we are forced to study it to graduate
Im sorry if I was anoying

and thanks to all who helped us

Ghallya

:rolleyes: :
ghallya said:

thanx

good qwestion!
i believe that cl atoms r reactive just bec. of their config. they want to complete their octet and gets converted into corrosponding ion,
same is the case with with na ,
na is just having a free electron in its valence shell,and it want to lose it to
get its octet completed
one more general reason is u can rember
every ion is having its partner to neutalize its charge
so does any bare atom,it become reactive and combine to have its valence electron shared or lost.

1. Why is Cl more active than Cl-?

Chlorine (Cl) is more active than its negatively charged counterpart, Cl-, because it has one less electron in its outermost energy level. This makes it more reactive and likely to form chemical bonds with other atoms.

2. What factors contribute to Cl being more active than Cl-?

In addition to having one less electron, Cl also has a smaller atomic radius compared to Cl-. This means that the outermost electrons are held more tightly and are more available for chemical reactions. Furthermore, Cl has a higher electronegativity, meaning it has a stronger attraction for electrons, making it more reactive.

3. How does the atomic structure of Cl contribute to its higher reactivity?

The atomic structure of Cl, specifically its outermost energy level, plays a crucial role in its reactivity. With only 7 electrons in its outer shell, Cl is one electron short of achieving a stable octet. This drives its reactivity as it seeks to gain or lose one electron to reach a more stable state.

4. Why does the activity of Cl affect its chemical properties?

The activity of Cl, or its tendency to react with other substances, is directly related to its chemical properties. This is because the reactivity of an element determines the types of chemical bonds it can form and the types of compounds it can create. As such, Cl's high reactivity makes it a key component in a wide range of chemical reactions and compounds.

5. Does the higher activity of Cl have any practical applications?

Yes, the high reactivity of Cl has numerous practical applications in various industries. For example, it is commonly used to purify water and treat wastewater due to its ability to react with and eliminate harmful bacteria and contaminants. Cl is also used in the production of plastics, solvents, and many other products. Additionally, it is an essential element in the production of medicines and agricultural chemicals.