How to interpret integrals of graphs

In summary: Again, this is simple. If you want to find the minimum or maximum value of g(x), you should be looking for where g'(x) is zero. So, if you're given g(x), and you want to find the minimum value, you would search for where g'(x) is zero. And, similarly, if you're looking for the maximum value, you would search for where g'(x) is not zero. However, what is g'(x)? That's right, it's f(x). So, to find the minimum or maximum value of
dnt

Homework Statement

no specific question but generally they give you a graph of f(x) (with semicircles, lines, above/below x-axis - could be anything) and say that g(x) is the integral from 0 to x of f(x).

then they will ask things like:

1) g(2)

2) find relative min/max for g(x)

3) find points of inflection of g(x) or where its concave up/down

4) find g'(4)

5) fine the equation of a line tangent to the graph of g at x=3

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1) g(2): ok this one is pretty easy. simply the area below the curve from 0 to whatever point is selected (in this case 2). just add all the areas above the x-axis and subtract all the negative ones below it.

2) find relative min/max for g(x): for this the only way i know how to is to logically see where the area is the largest (for maximums). in other words, as long as its above the x-axis the area gets bigger and bigger. so i look for where it hits the x-axis and those points are your possibilities for extrema.

what else am i missing here? how do you justify your answer? is there a formula to use?

3) find points of inflection of g(x) or where its concave up/down: i know points of inflection are where it changes concavity but how do you determine this? if g(x) is the integral of f(x) (the graph) then g'(x) should be f(x)? then g''(x) is f'(x)? so the points of inflection are where the slope changes from pos to neg or neg to pos?

is that right?

4) find g'(4): again since g'(x) is the same as f(x), if the question asks for g'(4) is that the same as f(4)? meaning i can simply look at the function value on the graph at x=4?

5) fine the equation of a line tangent to the graph of g at x=3: this one I am a little lost at. i know i need the slope of g at x=3 but other than that, I am confused.

again, there is no specific problem. I am trying to learn the rules and problem solving strategies for these general types of problems. any help is appreciated. and am i on the right track with my explanations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me that they're not necessarily asking you to use integrals, but asking you to use differentials, so what you in fact want is the differentials of the curve not the integration of that which lies under the curve. I could be wrong but it sounds very much like that, unless I'm misinterpreting the questions?

dnt said:

2) find relative min/max for g(x): for this the only way i know how to is to logically see where the area is the largest (for maximums). in other words, as long as its above the x-axis the area gets bigger and bigger. so i look for where it hits the x-axis and those points are your possibilities for extrema.

It's actually quite simple. If you want relative extrema for g(x), you should be looking at the points on the x-axis at which g'(x) is zero, right? But what is g'(x)? That's right, it's f(x). So g has an extremum wherever f has a root.

3) find points of inflection of g(x) or where its concave up/down: i know points of inflection are where it changes concavity but how do you determine this? if g(x) is the integral of f(x) (the graph) then g'(x) should be f(x)? then g''(x) is f'(x)? so the points of inflection are where the slope changes from pos to neg or neg to pos?

is that right?

Yes.

5) fine the equation of a line tangent to the graph of g at x=3: this one I am a little lost at. i know i need the slope of g at x=3 but other than that, I am confused.

To write down the equation of the tangent line, you'll need a point and a slope, right? OK, so the slope at x=3 is g'(3)=f(3). So just evaluate f at 3, and you've got the slope of the line. To get the point, plug x=3 into g itself.

dnt said:

Homework Statement

no specific question but generally they give you a graph of f(x) (with semicircles, lines, above/below x-axis - could be anything) and say that g(x) is the integral from 0 to x of f(x).

then they will ask things like:

1) g(2)
The only way to do that is to integrate- unless these are simple enough geometric figures ("semicircles, lines" etc.) that you can use the fact that the integral is the area.

The relative min/max will occur where the derivative is 0- and. by the "fundamental theorem of calculus", that is at f(x)= 0.

Since this involves g"(x)= 0, you are looking for f'(x)= 0.

4) find g'(4)
Again, this is f(4).

You will need to find the value of g(3) either by integrating or using geometric area. Of course, the slope of the tangent line is g'(3)= f(3).

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1) g(2): ok this one is pretty easy. simply the area below the curve from 0 to whatever point is selected (in this case 2). just add all the areas above the x-axis and subtract all the negative ones below it.

what else am i missing here? how do you justify your answer? is there a formula to use?

is that right?

4) find g'(4): again since g'(x) is the same as f(x), if the question asks for g'(4) is that the same as f(4)? meaning i can simply look at the function value on the graph at x=4?

again, there is no specific problem. I am trying to learn the rules and problem solving strategies for these general types of problems. any help is appreciated. and am i on the right track with my explanations?

1. What does the integral of a graph represent?

The integral of a graph represents the area under the curve of the function. It is a measure of the total value or quantity being represented by the graph.

2. How do I interpret the sign of an integral?

The sign of an integral depends on the limits of integration. If the upper limit is greater than the lower limit, the integral will be positive. If the opposite is true, the integral will be negative. This can also be interpreted as the direction of the curve on the graph.

3. Can the integral of a graph be negative?

Yes, the integral of a graph can be negative. This indicates that the area under the curve is below the x-axis. It is important to consider the limits of integration when interpreting the sign of the integral.

4. How do I calculate the integral of a graph?

The integral of a graph can be calculated using integration techniques such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. It is important to ensure that the function is continuous and differentiable before attempting to calculate the integral.

5. What is the relationship between the derivative and the integral of a graph?

The derivative and integral of a graph are inverse operations. The derivative represents the rate of change of the function, while the integral represents the accumulated change or total value of the function. In other words, the integral "undoes" the derivative and vice versa.