How Much Time Do You Spend Studying Per Week? - My 5 Hours

• Thread starter alba_ei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Interesting, this is the third thread on this topic in one day.Some people go 12 hrs a day!I usually don't study unless when a test comes up and then I can study for about 5 hours a day for about 2 weeks. Also I tend to wait till the last moment to do an assignment and spend about 4-6 hours doing it (untill the early hours of the morning)
alba_ei
How many hours per day or p week do you study. I personally study like 5 hours for week. I get a notebook, the book and a glass of soda and then I start. What about you?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a poll around somewhere that is on the same topic. Some people go 12 hrs a day!

It depends. Some days in the week I only study one or two hours. Other days I study between five and six. I'd say it averages out to about 3 hours a day. Incidentally, I find that a beer is much more helpful than a glass of soda (to me anyway), especially when a bunch of physics majors and I get together at the local pizza joint to get our assignment done.

Of course, right now I study 0 hours a day, since I graduated college and don't start grad school until this summer.

By study do you mean time spent on doing assingments, or soley time spent re-do old examples in prep for exams?

Interesting, this is the third thread on this topic in one day.

theperthvan said:
Some people go 12 hrs a day!

varies depending on wha you consider study

about 10 hours a semester.

DeadWolfe said:
about 10 hours a semester.
:biggrin: Someone with sense!

I usually don't study unless when a test comes up and then I can study for about 5 hours a day for about 2 weeks. Also I tend to wait till the last moment to do an assignment and spend about 4-6 hours doing it (untill the early hours of the morning)

EDIT: actually I really just study the night before and the moring of the test, probably about 5 hours on each subject

Last edited:
probably a night or two before exams ... and assignments are made/copied in class!

So other than the small minority of workaholics, we're all quite a lazy bunch?

Surprising. I thought I was the lazy one.

Whenever I study, I have to smoke a bowl. Afterwards, everything crystallizes.

Sojourner01 said:
So other than the small minority of workaholics, we're all quite a lazy bunch?

Surprising. I thought I was the lazy one.

I looked about at school, and it seems that the science kids are either the geeks or the laziest ones... just my school (we're a bunch of freaks in any case) or anyone else see this?

Personally i really do not do enough lol, but i find a bag of marshmallows helps the work along brilliantly! Other than that the computer and my friends are far too distracting

I don't really care what the kids in my department look or act like or if they are geeks, because I have drastically different interests than they do, already. I just care that they know maths and physics as that's why I am at school.

Hardly. At our school, if you're a reclusive geek, you fail. You have to be sociable and interact with your classmates because there is no way anyone who isn't a total genius - to the degree that there are none of the calibre I'm talking about here - can do all the assignments on their own without collaboration.

A few eccentrics, perhaps. Only a couple I'd call genuine geeks.

Hardly. At our school, if you're a reclusive geek, you fail. You have to be sociable and interact with your classmates because there is no way anyone who isn't a total genius - to the degree that there are none of the calibre I'm talking about here - can do all the assignments on their own without collaboration.

That is precisely the reason I said, "I only care if they know mathematics and physics." I only socialize with my classmates about school.

I hang out with my friends when I want to to socialize.

EDIT: I just realized you might not be talking to me, haha! If not, my fault Sojourner.

Last edited:
Sojourner01 said:

haha! same! damn our schools! Apparently though i need to be more outgoing in class and contribute more. And access teachers. (damn parent's evening).
What kind of school do you go to?

I say 'school' - accessibility to the American posters, mainly.

Reading University.

Eek, is it any good (i have to look into uni's to submit ucas in october :frown: )
I go to a grammar school. personaly i hate it, they're so competitive and i can't keep up, even by working 5hours a night, which I've just proved this week. I'm smart but I have a life other than constant study and it's everything is getting on top of me.

What i really need is an effective revision method. And time managment sessions:grumpy:

Well Reading is now closed to new physics applicants - a move I and others were instrumental in protesting, but to no avail. Reading is fairly good for certain subjects - academic departments are strong - but the management are terrible - inefficient, badly organised and contradictory. The senior management seem to be hell bent on destroying whatever was left of Reading's reputation and viability.

So unfortunately I'd have to say, don't go there.

lol ok then, thanks for the tips. ^^

1. How does studying for 5 hours per week compare to the recommended amount of study time?

According to the National Survey of Student Engagement, the average college student spends about 17 hours per week studying. Therefore, studying for 5 hours per week is significantly less than the recommended amount for college students.

2. Is 5 hours of studying per week enough to succeed academically?

It ultimately depends on the individual and their learning style. Some students may be able to succeed with only 5 hours of studying per week, while others may need more time to fully understand the material and perform well academically.

3. How can I make the most out of 5 hours of studying per week?

To make the most out of 5 hours of studying per week, it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, focus on the most important material, and use active studying techniques such as taking notes, summarizing, and practicing with practice problems.

4. Are there any negative effects of only studying for 5 hours per week?

Again, it depends on the individual and their learning style. Some students may be able to succeed with only 5 hours of studying per week, while others may struggle and see negative effects such as lower grades. It is important to assess your own academic progress and adjust your study time accordingly.

5. Can I still excel academically with only 5 hours of studying per week?

It is possible to excel academically with only 5 hours of studying per week, but it may require additional effort and effective study strategies. It may also depend on the difficulty of the material and the individual's learning style. It is important to continuously assess your academic progress and adjust your study time accordingly to achieve your goals.