Calculate Speed of Water Ejected from Hose

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the speed of water being ejected from a hose with a constant radius of 1.00cm, which takes 30.0s to fill a 2.00-L container. The conversation also addresses the discrepancy between the answer given in the textbook (21.2cm/s) and the answer calculated by the individual (2.12cm/s), which was due to incorrect conversion of flow units. The conversation concludes with a question about how area can be equal to flow divided by velocity.
dvyu
It takes 30.0s to fill a 2.00-L container with water from a hose with a constant radius 1.00cm. The hose is held horizontally. Determine the speed of the water being ejected from the hose.

I have attempted this question, but I have got a different answer to my textbook. I may however be going about this the wrong way.

Attempt:
4p(0.01)/30^2 = 2pV/30
V = 2.09E-3 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does your attempt represent?

How is the flow defined and how can you calculate it from the given data? Further on, how does the flow relate to the area and speed?

oh yes - I was using acceleration formulae
So, I should be using
area = flow/velocity and flow = Litre/second

dvyu said:
oh yes - I was using acceleration formulae
So, I should be using
area = flow/velocity and flow = Litre/second

Try to do so.

I have used that formula -
velocity = (2/30)/(3.14*0.01^2) = 212.2m/s
The thing is, my textbook gives the answer as 21.2cm/s, and my answer converts to 2.12cm/s. Am I wrong or is the textbook wrong?

Your answer is wrong.

Okay - can you tell me where I went wrong, because I can't see where I went wrong

dvyu said:
Okay - can you tell me where I went wrong, because I can't see where I went wrong

You went wrong with the flow units. 1 [L] = 1 [dm^3]. Convert to [cm^3].

okay, thanks, I'll try again

~it's worked out, thanks for your help

Last edited:
Sorry, a better question is why is area equal to flow / velocity and since 1 L equals 1dm wouldn't 1L equal to 10cm? So than why do we have r as 0.1?
velocity = (2/30)/(3.14*0.01^2) = 212.2m/s

Oh i see you are converting 1cm into dm. I still can't grasp how area = flow / velocity?

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the speed of water ejected from a hose?

To calculate the speed of water ejected from a hose, you need to know the flow rate (in liters per second) and the diameter of the hose (in meters). Then, you can use the formula speed = flow rate / (cross-sectional area of hose) to determine the speed in meters per second.

2. What is the flow rate of a typical garden hose?

The flow rate of a typical garden hose is about 6-9 liters per minute. However, this can vary depending on the water pressure and the diameter of the hose.

3. Can the speed of water ejected from a hose be increased?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the speed of water ejected from a hose. One way is to increase the water pressure, which will result in a higher flow rate. Another way is to use a narrower hose, which will increase the velocity of the water.

4. Does the length of the hose affect the speed of the water?

The length of the hose does not directly affect the speed of the water. However, a longer hose may result in a decrease in water pressure, which can affect the flow rate and ultimately the speed of the water ejected.

5. What are the units used to measure the speed of water ejected from a hose?

The speed of water ejected from a hose is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, it can also be measured in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).