What Is the Maximum Current Through a 1.33 µF Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the greatest current through a capacitor with a capacitance of 1.33uF and an applied voltage given by V = 250t^2 - 200t^3 volts. The process involves taking the derivative of V to find the time values, plugging these values into the equation for I, and solving for the maximum current. A potential error is mentioned and a different method is suggested, involving finding the inflection point of V to determine the maximum current. The correct method is clarified, which involves setting the second derivative of V equal to 0 to find the maximum current.
nooobie

Homework Statement

find the greatest current through the capacitor with a capacitance of C=1.33uF, where the applied voltage is given by V = 250t^2 - 200t^3 volts.

Homework Equations

i = C(dV/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

so i take the derivative of V:V'= 500t-600t^2...
and find values for time and i get

0= 100t(5 - 6t)
then t = 0, and 5/6.
testing these values in the second derivative V" = 500-1200t...I find 5/6 to be maximum...

plugging into the equation for i = (1.33*10^(-6))(500(5/6) - 600(5/6)^2)
which equates to zero...bah, this can be right...what am i doing wrong...am i taking the wrong derivative or something

Physics news on Phys.org
you got the max point correct.

but why are you plugging the max x coordinate into V prime?

the equation for I is C*V' , and i have no value for t except 5/6, do i have to plug into the orig?..but that would give me a constant, and i can't get the derivative of the constant, it would give me zero again..

One wants di/dt = 0 => d2V/dt2 = 0 to find time at maximum current.

Using dV/dt = 0, one will find time of max or min voltage.

V" = 500-1200t = 0, then find t, which is the time of max current.

Last edited:
the equation means that Voltage is varying by time. you found the time when the voltage is at it's peak(max value). you need to find the voltage at that point in time to get the max value for I.

thanks Astronuc
you were very helpful

I don't think astronucs method will work properly.

V'' is a straight line not a parabola.

My method suggested that since in i=C*V, C is constant and both C,V are directly proportional, the greatest value for V, which is the maximum point, would yield the greatest current.

EDIT: moreover, getting 500-1200t=0 and solving for t will give the x coordinate for the inflection point of V=250t^2-200t^3

Last edited:
pooface said:
I don't think astronucs method will work properly.

V'' is a straight line not a parabola.

My method suggested that since in i=C*V, C is constant and both C,V are directly proportional, the greatest value for V, which is the maximum point, would yield the greatest current.

EDIT: moreover, getting 500-1200t=0 and solving for t will give the x coordinate for the inflection point of V=250t^2-200t^3

i isn't C*V. i is Cdv/dt... ie: i = C*V'... so to get the max of i you need to set i' = 0 ie: C*V'' = 0 => V'' = 0.

max voltage does not necessarily imply max current.

What is current through a capacitor?

Current through a capacitor refers to the flow of electric charge that passes through a capacitor, which is a passive electronic component that stores electric energy in an electric field. In simpler terms, it is the movement of electrons through the capacitor.

How does current flow through a capacitor?

Current flows through a capacitor when there is a potential difference, or voltage, across its two plates. This causes electrons to move from one plate to the other, creating a flow of current. However, as the capacitor charges and reaches its capacity, the current flow decreases until it eventually stops.

What is the relationship between voltage and current in a capacitor?

In a capacitor, the current through it is directly proportional to the rate of change of voltage across it. This means that as the voltage increases or decreases, the current through the capacitor also changes at the same rate.

What factors affect the current through a capacitor?

The current through a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the voltage across it, the capacitance of the capacitor, the frequency of the alternating current, and the resistance of the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can affect the current through the capacitor.

What is the significance of current through a capacitor in electronic circuits?

The current through a capacitor plays a crucial role in electronic circuits. It allows for the storage and release of electrical energy, filtering of signals, and the creation of time delays. It is also essential in regulating voltage levels and maintaining stable power supplies in electronic devices.