Sping Matrices and Commutation Relations

In summary, the conversation is about checking if the spin matrices in equations 4.145 and 4.147 follow the fundamental commutation relations for angular momentum in equation 4.134. The equations for the spin matrices are given and the commutation relations are shown to be satisfied. There is some confusion in the attempt at a solution but it is eventually understood that the answer is correct.
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

Check that the spin matrices (Equations 4.145 and 4.147) obey the fundamental commutation relations for angular momentum, Equation 4.134.

Homework Equations

Eq. 4.147a --> [tex]S_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Eq. 4.147b --> [tex]S_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Eq. 4.145 --> [tex]S_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\left[ S_{x}, S_{y}\right] = i\hbar S_{z}[/tex]

[tex]\left[ S_{y}, S_{z}\right] = i\hbar S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]\left[ S_{z}, S_{x}\right] = i\hbar S_{y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, from Eq. 4.147 I have [tex]S_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and also [tex]S_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So [tex]\left[ S_{x}, S_{y} \right] = i\hbar S_{z} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\left[ \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}, \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} \right] \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} - \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\begin{pmatrix}i & 0 \\ 0 & -i \end{pmatrix} - \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\begin{pmatrix}-i & 0 \\ 0 & i \end{pmatrix} = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\begin{pmatrix}2i & 0 \\ 0 & -2i \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

It doesn't quite seem right to me because the answer shows:

[tex]\left[ S_{x}, S_{y}\right] = i\hbar S_{z}[/tex]

But I can't see how I'd get that from where I'm going.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer IS i*hbar*S_z.

Err... hey, you're right. :D

This idiot thanks you.

Last edited:

1. What are spin matrices and commutation relations?

Spin matrices are mathematical objects used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. They are typically represented by matrices with specific properties, and are used to calculate the spin of particles in different directions. Commutation relations, on the other hand, are mathematical relationships that describe how operators, such as spin matrices, behave when they are applied in different orders.

2. How do spin matrices and commutation relations relate to quantum mechanics?

Spin matrices and commutation relations are essential tools in understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the spin of particles, which is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics. These concepts are crucial in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

3. What are the properties of spin matrices?

Spin matrices have several important properties, including being Hermitian (equal to their own conjugate transpose), unitary (equal to their own inverse), and traceless (the sum of the elements on the main diagonal is equal to zero). These properties make spin matrices useful in calculations and allow them to accurately describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics.

4. How are commutation relations useful in quantum mechanics?

Commutation relations are useful in quantum mechanics because they allow us to determine how operators, such as spin matrices, behave when they are applied in different orders. This is important because in quantum mechanics, operators do not always commute, meaning their order of application affects the final result. By understanding commutation relations, we can accurately calculate the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are some real-world applications of spin matrices and commutation relations?

Spin matrices and commutation relations have many real-world applications, including in the development of technology such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. These concepts are also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum computers, which have the potential to revolutionize computing and data processing. Additionally, spin matrices and commutation relations are used in various fields of physics, including atomic and nuclear physics, and in studying the properties of materials at the quantum level.