Is Obama's Victory in SC Putting Him at Risk?

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, CNN just announced Obama is projected to win the South Carolina primary based on exit polls. The earlier polls showed Obama with 38% of the vote, Clinton with 30%, Edwards with 19%, and 13% undecided. However, the exit polls show that the majority of the undecided voters went heavily for Obama. 51% of those who made up their minds in the last few days also went for Obama. Bill Clinton's remarks seemed to have influenced 60% of voters, but only 48% of those went for Obama. This could be a major win for Obama and a potential setback for Hillary Clinton's campaign. In addition, the Governor of Florida has endorsed McCain, which could impact the race in Florida. The
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CNN just announced Obama is projected to win SC, based on exit polls!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
The voting just ended 7 minutes ago. Let's wait a few hours.

The earlier polls had Obama with 38%, Clinton 30%, Edwards 19%, and 13% undecided. Which way did the undecided go - I wonder.

Looks like the undecided went heavily for Obama. If the good news for Hillary Clinton was that she held off Edwards for 2nd place, then it's a major win for Obama.

CNN exit polls had about 20% making up their minds in the last few days and 51% of those went for Obama. About 60% of the voters said they were influenced by Bill Clinton's remarks. 48% of those went for Obama while 37% of those went for Hillary Clinton.

Bill Clinton may have made the biggest mistake of Hillary's campaign so far.

It backfired in South Carolina. It might still work to frame the race for Super Tuesday. It might also have turned Hillary's campaign into a Bill/Hillary campaign (with Bill intentionally first). Or, it might have backfired so badly that pushes Bill safely into the background where he can't mess up Hillary's campaign.

Last edited:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=SC

With 23% of precincts reporting

Obama 53%
Clinton 27%
Edwards 20%

If it stays like that, it's a big win.

Meanwhile, Governor of Florida endorses McCain. That could tip the race to McCain in Florida.

And - New York Times endorses Clinton, backs McCain over Giuliani

Astronuc said:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=SC

With 23% of precincts reporting

Obama 53%
Clinton 27%
Edwards 20%

If it stays like that, it's a big win.

Meanwhile, Governor of Florida endorses McCain. That could tip the race to McCain in Florida.

And - New York Times endorses Clinton, backs McCain over Giuliani

That New York Times endorsement will be a real big help to McCain. Why didn't they just hand him a gun to shoot himself with?

BobG said:
That New York Times endorsement will be a real big help to McCain. Why didn't they just hand him a gun to shoot himself with?
:rofl: It might impress some moderates. :rolleyes:

54 - 27 - 18: What a trouncing!

PS : Hey, those numbers make a harmonic progression!

Last edited:
BobG said:

Astronuc said:
:rofl: It might impress some moderates. :rolleyes:
Yes, take a look if you can at today's letter's to the Times re their McCain endorsement. Much gnashing of teeth that the Times would even acknowledge the existence of Republicans.

mheslep said:
Yes, take a look if you can at today's letter's to the Times re their McCain endorsement. Much gnashing of teeth that the Times would even acknowledge the existence of Republicans.

Daniel Barenholtz in the NYT Letters to the Editor said:
The New York Times’s editorial page endorsing a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination is a bit like the Hatfields recommending a leader for the McCoys.
Where was this teeth-gnashing when they hired Kristol last month?

Gokul43201 said:
Where was this teeth-gnashing when they hired Kristol last month?
Didn't get to look. There must have been some, no?

lisab said:
CNN just announced Obama is projected to win SC, based on exit polls!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

YES!

There aren't many things in life that make me feel like dancing, but right now I'm dancing a jig! WHAT a blowout! Amazing!

Now 55-27-18. Pretty decisive.

Let's see if Clinton changes her style.

A good day indeed, for those naive souls such as myself who are feeling completely disenfranchized by the satus quo.

This is great news! Obama is one of the people fighting to reverse the funding cut in high energy physics. And, what a victory speech from Obama. Very moving and optimistic.

denverdoc said:
A good day indeed, for those naive souls such as myself who are feeling completely disenfranchized by the satus quo.

For me, disenfranchized doesn't even come close to covering it. I genuinely believe that it is do or die time for America. If we don't undo the damage done by Bush, and quickly, it won't be undone. Electing Obama would certainly be a step in the right direction.

G01 said:
This is great news! Obama is one of the people fighting to reverse the funding cut in high energy physics. And, what a victory speech from Obama. Very moving and optimistic.
Congress cut the HE physics funding.

mheslep said:

What I meant was that he is fighting to provide more money to the field in the 2009 budget. Being from Illinois, Obama felt the affect the new budget had on Fermilab. I'm sure this was a great impetus for him to support new funding for HE Physics.

G01 said:
Obama is one of the people fighting to reverse the funding cut in high energy physics.

mheslep said:
Both statements are true, and they do not contradict one another.

The one thing that we know to be true is that Bush and his brand of Republicans seek to suppress scientific information. That is far worse than funding cuts!

This result made me really relieved. In the past two weeks, Senator Clinton has gone from someone I would've gladly voted for in the general election to someone that I'd support only to prevent another Republican from getting into office. I suspected that everything she and her husband have been doing to vilify Obama must be turning her off to a lot of people, and this result is confirmation of that. Exit polls indicate that Bill Clinton influenced 58% of the voters, mostly helping Obama.

I noticed Edwards made a point of "joining President Clinton and Senator Clinton" in congratulating Obama on his victory.

Edwards was pretty upbeat afterward both in his speech and his comments. Both CNN and MSNBC cut away from Clinton's post-primary speech pretty quickly.

Edwards might have reason to be fairly upbeat about South Carolina. It raised both the issue of race and the issue of Bill Clinton back in the White House.

G01 said:
What I meant was that he is fighting to provide more money to the field in the 2009 budget. Being from Illinois, Obama felt the affect the new budget had on Fermilab. I'm sure this was a great impetus for him to support new funding for HE Physics.
Argonne National Lab, also in Illinois, is affected by the reduced funding as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted Kennedy said:
"It is time now for Barack Obama... Like you, we want a president who appeals to the hopes of those who still believe in the American dream," he said.

"I've found that candidate. And it looks to me like you have too,"
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/28/kennedy.obama/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Caroline Kennedy said:
"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president--not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans." Barack Obama.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22867407/page/4/

Considering the number of candidates who have tried to compare themselves to Kennedy, something like this coming from the TK, and esp Caroline, is pretty amazing.

Well, the smear campaign has started. I work with a LOT of devout Christians. The girl next to me got an e-mail today from her church saying that Obama is a Muslim, that he only joined a Christian church in order to get elected, and that he is part of a terrorist group. The e-mail said that terrorism will strike within America and what better way than through the President. I am not kidding you. The e-mail urges Christians to forward the e-mail to everyone they know.

A couple of us tried to explain to her how ridiculous that was, but, this is from her church and she absolutely believes it. I think this is where the danger of letting someone tell you how to think and what to think and what you can watch on tv or movies, or what you can listen to, how to live your life, etc... becomes really scary.

Last edited:
Yes, I got one of those about a week ago. The person who sent it believes just about any nonsense that comes along; as long as he likes what it says, which is probably the ultimate deciding factor for most people who grab onto this sort of thing. It is also notewothy that any so called church spreading lies like this is not really a church. Rather, they are a political organization disguised as a church. This gets back to my complaints about churches like this getting tax exempt status.

Btw, the same guy claims that microwaving water changes its characteristics and makes it unsafe, but he didn't get that one from church.

This evening I had a woman tell me that she would vote for Obama but she doesn't want to get him killed. Sad part is that she may be on to something.

Last edited:

1. How was Obama projected to win South Carolina?

Obama was projected to win South Carolina based on exit polls and early vote counts. These projections are made by analyzing data from sampled precincts and comparing it to historical trends and demographics.

2. Who makes the projections for election results?

The projections for election results are made by a team of pollsters, statisticians, and political experts. They analyze data from various sources and use algorithms to make predictions.

3. How accurate are these projections?

These projections are generally accurate, but they are not always 100% accurate. They are based on statistical analysis and can be affected by unforeseen events or changes in voter behavior.

4. Why is South Carolina an important state in the election?

South Carolina is an important state in the election because it is one of the early primary states and can influence the momentum and perception of a candidate. It also has a diverse population and serves as a test for a candidate's appeal to different demographics.

5. What impact does this projection have on the overall election?

This projection can have a significant impact on the overall election as it shows Obama's strong support in a key state and can influence the decisions of voters in future primaries. It can also affect the narrative and media coverage of the election, potentially giving Obama a boost in momentum.