Physics or Engineering: Which Path Should I Choose for College?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's dilemma between studying engineering or physics in college. They are interested in both but are unsure which path to pursue. The suggestion is to go to a tough engineering school and seek advice from advisors to potentially study both in the first two undergraduate years. The person also mentions their dream of becoming an inventor and their interest in physics.
Tom McCurdy
I am posting this with the knowedge that I probably won't have internet acess for 2 weeks, however I still would like to get some response. Since I can remember my dream was to be an inventer. I loved the idea of edison's work shop, and hoped to modify it to create a company similar to sharper image. However over the last year I have been becomming increasingly into physics, specifically the quest for toe. I have to apply for colleges next year during the fall and am starting to get worried. Do I go for a college that is good in engineering say U of M (4th ranked nationally) or should I go to a college that is mainly physics say Yale or something. I guess I could solve the dimlema by getting into MIT, but its never good to rely on something. Any suggestions, should I do physics or engineering?

tom

Science news on Phys.org
Notice that the greatest physicist of the middle 20th century, Richard Feynman, went to MIT. If you go to a TOUGH engineering school, and explain your dilemma to your advisors, you should be able to do the first two undergraduate years without making a complete choice. If your other temptation had been math you couldn't do that; calculus for math majors is a different subject from calculus for engineers and physicists.

my, it's great that you have a passion for both physics and engineering! Both fields are incredibly important and have the potential to make a huge impact in the world. Ultimately, the decision between pursuing physics or engineering as a major will depend on your personal interests and career goals.

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. It involves a lot of theoretical and mathematical work, and can lead to careers in research, academia, or even industry. On the other hand, engineering is the practical application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems. It is a highly hands-on field and can lead to careers in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, or technology.

If your dream is to be an inventor, engineering may be a better fit for you as it involves a lot of hands-on work and problem-solving. However, if you are more interested in the theoretical side of things and want to contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge, then physics may be the right path for you.

When it comes to choosing a college, it's important to consider the specific programs and opportunities offered at each institution. Look into the research opportunities, internships, and extracurricular activities available in both the physics and engineering departments at each school. Additionally, consider speaking with current students or alumni to get a better sense of the culture and resources available at each college.

It's also important to keep in mind that many universities offer dual-degree programs that allow students to pursue both physics and engineering. This could be a great option for you if you are interested in both fields and want to combine them in your career.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to follow your passion and choose a path that you are truly interested in. With hard work and dedication, you can be successful in either field. Good luck with your decision and your future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and improve technology and solve practical problems.

2. Can someone with a physics degree work as an engineer?

While physics and engineering are closely related, they require different skill sets and approaches. A person with a physics degree can work in an engineering field, but they may need additional training or experience to apply their knowledge to practical problems.

3. Which is more theoretical, physics or engineering?

Physics is more theoretical as it is focused on understanding the fundamental laws and concepts of the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, is more practical and applied, using the principles of physics to design and create technology and solve real-world problems.

4. Do physics and engineering have different career paths?

Yes, physics and engineering have different career paths. Physics graduates can pursue careers in research, academia, or industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy. Engineering graduates can work in a variety of fields, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and computer science.

5. Are physics and engineering mutually exclusive?

No, physics and engineering are not mutually exclusive. In fact, many engineers use physics principles in their work, and physicists often collaborate with engineers to apply their theories in practical applications. Both fields complement each other and contribute to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.