Calculating Current Through a Capacitor with a Constant Voltage Input

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the current (i) through a capacitor with a capacitance of 100mF in response to a voltage of -20V. The formula i = C dv/dt is mentioned, but the problem is that there is no information given about the rate of change of voltage with respect to time (dv/dt). The conversation then continues to discuss the possibility of finding the charge on the capacitor with the given information, but ultimately concludes that more information is needed to calculate the current.
circuitaki
calculate the current through the capacitor 100mF in response of voltase 20-

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thoughts?

I want to find out the i if v across capacitor is -20v

I know the formula is i = C dv/ dt

but here I have no t

only capacitance and voltage

Last edited:
circuitaki said:
I want to find out the i if v across capacitor is -20v

I know the formula is i = C dv/ dt

but here I have no t

only capacitance and voltage
It's not a t. It's a derivative with respect to time. dv/dt is the rate of change of voltage with respect to time. Can you find that?

hi dear,

if t is the rate of change of time then how can i drive it kindly guide

With the given information, you can only get the charge on the capacitor. Calculating i is impossible without more information.

I suggest you look carefully at the problem statement again, is there any other information? Or a figure?

hi dear,

Kindly check that we have voltage and capacittance as

v= -20 v

and

capacitace

5 mF

Maybe this question is easier than we are making it out to be.

If v = a constant -20V, then

dv/dt = ____?​

What is current through a capacitor?

Current through a capacitor refers to the flow of electrical charge through a capacitor. A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric energy by accumulating opposite charges on two conductors separated by an insulating material.

How does current flow through a capacitor?

Current flows through a capacitor when there is a potential difference or voltage applied across it. This causes electrons to flow from one plate of the capacitor to the other, creating a current. The rate of current flow, or the amount of charge passing through the capacitor per second, is known as the capacitor's capacitance.

What determines the amount of current through a capacitor?

The amount of current through a capacitor is determined by the capacitance of the capacitor and the voltage applied across it. The higher the capacitance and voltage, the greater the current flowing through the capacitor.

Can current flow through a capacitor without voltage?

No, current cannot flow through a capacitor without voltage. A potential difference or voltage is required to create an electric field between the two plates of the capacitor, which in turn allows for the flow of current.

What are the applications of current through a capacitor?

The flow of current through a capacitor is utilized in various electronic circuits, such as filters, oscillators, and power supplies. It is also used in energy storage devices like batteries and capacitors themselves, as they can store and release electric energy quickly.