Gravity in relation to string theory.

In summary, the weakness of gravity in our 3 dimensional world may be due to the fact that we don't have an understanding of the dynamics of the "extra dimensions" which would be affected by the presence of energy in that dimension.
mcpacker
I have watched numerous shows about physics and I am curious if I understand gravities apparent weakness due to 11 dimensions correctly. The way I made sense of it was by picturing myself at the bottom of a steep hill. At the top of the hill I saw a huge amount of water coming down hill. It looked as though I was about to be engulfed by all the water but I then noticed numerous deep holes all over the hill. The majority of the water flowed into those holes and once the water got to me it was far less than what started at the top of the hill.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was not trying to come up with a new idea. I have only taken a physics class once and because of that I should probably not even try to understand this stuff. I just saw a tv show where they talked about gravity and 11 dimensions. I just wanted to see if I understood correctly and since I got no replies I am guessing I was way off. I love physics but at the moment I know practically nothing about it. I would have appreciated a reply even if it was just to say "You are clueless. Stop asking stupid questions."

Sorry to hear you didn't get a reply before. The analogy is roughly ok, it's certainly not stupid. In considering a "lower dimensional effective theory", there is a diluting effect due to the fact that there are really dynamics in the "extra dimensions" that we are ignorant of. This means interactions effectively look weaker in our 4-dimensional world relative to what they would be if we lived in a higher-dimensional world. There are other factors that can go into changing the effective strength of interactions, but this one is the most generic.

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad I was not way out there in my analogy. Physics is very fascinating to me. I know getting a formal education will be far more rewarding than trying to be an amateur physicist. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to come to this forum and understand the more technical stuff.

Again thank you for the reply javierR. I tend to soak up information but not knowing the technicalities of what I hear makes it hard to discuss that information.

I have developed a interest in quantum physics & quantum gravity. Reading, watching documentaries and finding myself just thinking about the effect of gravity.

Just thinking about the subject of gravity and our interpretation of a higher gravitational dimension I assume we cannot directly witness its effect as it is happening on a subatomic level at the very level of strings. So at this scale can space warp dramatically touching directly on the gravitational dimension almost a shadow dimension. Are black holes an immense versions of what is happening at every point of the universe, a large scale singularity.

Could this effect be carried in every piece of energy, every virtual particle that appears creating direct connection to this dimension that causes the binding of matter on ours. Sort of a subatomic low energy wormhole.

Like I say I'm no expert and I'm guessing that at this granular level of space time it wouldn't take much to warp space dramatically.

I hope you are not asking me this question and have just decided to hijack my insignificant thread.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the seemingly incompatible theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

How does string theory relate to gravity?

In string theory, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. The theory predicts that gravity can be understood by the behavior of strings and their interactions with other strings.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are attracted to one another. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the motion of planets in their orbits, the formation of stars and galaxies, and the structure of the universe.

How does string theory explain the force of gravity?

According to string theory, gravity is not a force between particles, but rather a result of the geometry of spacetime. The presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, causes spacetime to curve, and this curvature is what we experience as the force of gravity.

What evidence supports the idea of gravity in relation to string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for string theory, as it has not yet been proven experimentally. However, some indirect evidence, such as the unification of forces and the inclusion of gravity in the theory, support its validity. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the relationship between gravity and string theory.