Proving Homeomorphism: D^n / S^{n-1} to S^n using n=1,2,3 cases

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the unit n ball in Euclidean n-space divided by the n-1 sphere is homeomorphic to the n-sphere. The hint suggests starting with the n=1,2,3 cases and using a homeomorphism between a circle minus one point and a line. The conversation also considers the possibility of using a function such as f(y)= \left( \cos{(y+1) \pi},\sin{(y+1) \pi} \right), and questions whether or not it is necessary to show bijectivity and continuity. Overall, the focus is on understanding and demonstrating the homeomorphism between the two surfaces.
latentcorpse
If [itex]D^n[/itex] is the unit n ball in Euclidean n-space. i.e.
[itex]D^n = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}^n : ||x|| \leq 1 \}[/itex]
and [itex]S^n[/itex] is an n-sphere.

how do i show that [itex]D^n / S^{n-1}[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]S^n[/itex]?
there's a hint suggesting i first of all try the n=1,2,3 cases. where [itex]X/Y= X \backslash Y \cup \{ t \}[/itex] where [itex]t \in X[/itex] is a single distinguished point.

i'm not really sure how to start.
i can visualise for example the n=1 case where [itex]D^1 \backslash S^0=[x-1,x) \cup (x,x+1][/itex] and [itex]S^1[/itex] is the unit circle so if we take t=x then [itex]D^1/S^0=[x-1,x+1][/itex]and i was thinking a homeomorphism here would be some sort of function along the lines of [itex]f(y)= \left( \cos{(y+1) \pi},\sin{(y+1) \pi} \right)[/itex]. i think this works as a homeomorphism but do i have to run through the steps of showing it's bijective and continuous and that the inverse is continuous?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Follow the hint. Think about for example, the The circle minis one point being homeomorphic to the line . You should be able to be explicit about this homeomorphism. It makes sense right? take away one point, and then "fold"" the surface out. Show that R is homeomorphic to any open interval (this is also easy and explicit).

Think about this for a while.

is the homeomorphism i gave above wrong and if so why? also, why am i considering the circle minus one point? surely i want the line minus one point unioned with one point to be homeomorphic to the enitre circle?

1. What is a homeomorphism in math?

A homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous and bijective (one-to-one and onto) function between two topological spaces. It essentially means that two spaces are "the same" in terms of their shape and structure, and the function between them preserves this structure.

2. How is a homeomorphism different from an isomorphism?

While both homeomorphisms and isomorphisms involve a function between two spaces, the key difference is that isomorphisms preserve not only the shape and structure, but also the algebraic operations between elements in the spaces. In other words, isomorphisms preserve both the topological and algebraic properties of the spaces, whereas homeomorphisms only preserve the topological properties.

3. What are some examples of homeomorphisms?

Some common examples of homeomorphisms include rotating or scaling a shape, flipping or reflecting a shape, and stretching or compressing a shape. Additionally, any two shapes that have the same number of holes (such as a doughnut and a coffee mug) are homeomorphic.

4. How do I prove that two spaces are homeomorphic?

To prove that two spaces are homeomorphic, you need to show that there exists a continuous and bijective function between them. This can be done using various techniques such as constructing an explicit function, showing that the inverse function is also continuous, or using properties of homeomorphisms such as the preservation of connectedness and compactness.

5. Why is homeomorphism important in mathematics?

Homeomorphism is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to identify and study topological properties of spaces without being limited by their specific shapes or structures. This allows for the transfer of knowledge and techniques between different spaces, making it a powerful tool in various branches of mathematics such as topology, geometry, and analysis.