Is the Higgs Particle Just a Myth?

• Thread starter emc2cracker
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of finding the Briggs particle and the speaker's belief that it will not be discovered. They also mentioned the potential for new physics to be studied in the future. The conversation took a humorous turn when the speaker mistakenly referred to Stephen Hawking as "Hawkins" and the Higgs particle as "Briggs." They also acknowledged their scatterbrained nature and joked about their typing skills.
emc2cracker
So what do you guys think? I am with Hawking they never will find the Briggs particle. I think lots of people are going to be stubborn about it and persist, but still I think a new set of physics will be up for study sometime in the future.

edit

wow what a brain fart. yes I was arguing with the kids at the time I wrote BRIGGS LOL

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
emc2cracker said:
So what do you guys think? I am with Hawkins they never will find the Briggs particle. I think lots of people are going to be stubborn about it and persist, but still I think a new set of physics will be up for study sometime in the future.

I think you need to get your brain adjusted. Try "Hawking" and "Higgs particle" for a start.

I am the parent that always messes their friends and kids names up, or out of the blue just combines three words of the English language. Yeah sorry I am a bit scatterbrained I tried to write BE HIGGS and probably answering a kids question with an R word when I typed that. If you were raising three youngins by yourself your head might need checked too lol.

But thanks for noticing, if you can overlook my typing skills I'll overlook your warm personality deal?

I'm happy to agree that I'm sceptical about the Higgs. I have my own theory as to what gives particles mass, but it's too speculative to post here.

1. What is "To Briggs or not to Briggs"?

"To Briggs or not to Briggs" is a phrase that refers to the decision of whether or not to use the Briggs notation system in chemistry.

2. What is the Briggs notation system?

The Briggs notation system is a way of representing organic molecules using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols to show the structure and connectivity of atoms within the molecule.

3. Why is "To Briggs or not to Briggs" a debated topic in chemistry?

There is debate over the use of the Briggs notation system because it is not the only notation system available and some argue that it can be complex and difficult to interpret, while others believe it is a useful tool for representing complex molecules.

4. Are there any alternatives to the Briggs notation system?

Yes, there are several other notation systems used in chemistry, such as the Kekulé, condensed, and skeletal systems. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of which to use often depends on personal preference and the specific molecule being represented.

5. How do I decide whether to use the Briggs notation system?

The decision to use the Briggs notation system or another system ultimately comes down to personal preference and the needs of your research or work. It is important to familiarize yourself with multiple notation systems and choose the one that best suits your needs and the needs of your audience.