How does a swimmer's jump affect the water level and raft in a pool?

• Thread starter Mizuki168
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the question is asking about the behavior of a raft and the water level in a pool when a swimmer dives off the raft. The raft will rise due to the decrease in force acting against its upthrust. As for the second part, the water level will be higher when the swimmer is on the raft because more water is displaced. When the swimmer jumps off, the water level will decrease as the swimmer is now submerged and displacing a lower volume of water compared to the raft. Additionally, the total buoyant force on all objects (swimmer and raft) is equal to or greater than the combined weight of the swimmer and raft. After the swimmer jumps off, the total buoyant force decreases
Mizuki168
Alright this may be a simple and stupid question but I'm still not sure of what the answer might be :( So I hope you guys can help me out a little. =]

Question:
A swimmer dives off a raft in a pool. Does the raft rise or sink in the water? What happens to the water level in the pool? Give reasons for your answer.

Attempt to find an answer:
So, the raft was already floating in the water with the swimmer on it. Meaning the total mass is less than or equal to the upthrust due to atmospheric pressure. If the swimmer jumps off of the raft then there would be less force to act against the upthrust therefore the raft will rise. However, for the second part I am unsure.

At first, I thought that the water level would reduce because less water is being displaced. But then for some reason I thought that the water level might be the same? Because the swimmer is not diving off out of the pool but he is still in the pool. I don't know I'm quite confused with this part of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second part: remember that the amount of water displaced is equal to the submerged volume of anything in the water. So for example, if the swimmer is completely underwater, the amount of water he's displacing is equal to his volume. The amount of water the raft is displacing is some fraction of the raft's total volume. This is useful because the more water is being displaced, the higher the water level.

You know, I presume, that the buoyant force on any object is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. What's the relationship between the total buoyant force on all objects in the pool and the water level?

What can you figure out about the total buoyant force on all objects (swimmer and raft), before the swimmer jumps vs. after he jumps?

That the buoyancy force is equal or more than the force exerted by the swimmer and the raft together and afterwards when the swimmer jumps off and only the raft floats and the swimmer is submerged into the water when he jumps off? :S

1. What is pressure in swimming and how does it affect a swimmer?

Pressure in swimming refers to the force exerted by the surrounding water on a swimmer's body. This pressure increases with depth and can have a significant impact on a swimmer's performance, as it can affect their breathing, movement, and overall efficiency in the water.

2. How do swimmers manage pressure while swimming?

Swimmers manage pressure by maintaining proper body positioning and technique. This helps them minimize resistance and maintain a steady breathing pattern. They may also use specialized equipment, such as swim caps and suits, to reduce drag and improve their performance.

3. Does pressure affect swimmers differently depending on the stroke?

Yes, pressure affects swimmers differently depending on the stroke. For example, freestyle and butterfly swimmers experience more pressure on their chest and face, while backstroke swimmers experience more pressure on their back. Breaststroke swimmers may also feel pressure on their chest and legs due to the nature of the stroke.

4. How does water temperature affect pressure in swimming?

Water temperature can affect pressure in swimming as warmer water is less dense and creates less pressure on the body. This can make it easier for swimmers to move through the water. On the other hand, colder water is more dense and can create more pressure, which can be more challenging for swimmers.

5. Can pressure in swimming lead to injuries?

Yes, pressure in swimming can lead to injuries if not managed properly. Swimmers may experience ear pain or discomfort due to changes in pressure at different depths. Additionally, if a swimmer is not properly conditioned or does not use correct technique, pressure can contribute to muscle strain or other injuries.