What is the relationship between Torque and Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between energy, torque, and angle covered. The equation given is energy = torque * angle covered, and the conversation explains that torque is equal to force multiplied by radius. The concept of radian angle measurement is also brought up as a possible issue for understanding.
Rising_Hg
I was reading about Torque on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque" ).

There was this relation given :

Energy = Torque * Angle covered.
Can anybody explain me how or show the derivation ?

- Rising_Hg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i didnt even know that relation existed but i can give it a shot.

Energy is force x distance. So you have torque, which is force multiplied by radius. radius multiplied by angle covered is going to be a distance. So there is force x distance. which is energy.

dacruick said:
i didnt even know that relation existed but i can give it a shot.
Yep, that's it.

Perhaps the OP is not familiar with radian angle measurement. Is this the case Rising_Hg?

The relationship between torque and energy can be explained through the concept of work. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while energy is the ability to do work. In other words, torque is the cause and energy is the effect.

The formula given, E = T * θ, shows that the energy produced by a torque is directly proportional to the magnitude of the torque and the angle through which it is applied. This can be derived from the equation for work, W = F * d * cosθ, where F is the force applied, d is the distance over which the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement.

In rotational motion, the force is replaced by torque, and the distance is replaced by the angle of rotation. Thus, the equation becomes W = T * θ * cosθ. Since cosθ is equal to 1 when θ is 0, the equation reduces to W = T * θ. This is the same as the relationship given between energy and torque.

In simpler terms, when a torque is applied to an object, it causes it to rotate through a certain angle. This rotation requires energy, and the amount of energy produced is directly proportional to the torque applied and the angle through which it is applied. Therefore, the relationship between torque and energy is that torque results in the production of energy, which can be measured by the amount of work done in rotating an object.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m).

2. How is torque related to energy?

Torque and energy are related in that torque is the rate at which energy is transferred to or from an object due to its rotation. This can be calculated using the formula τ = F x r, where F is the applied force and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque is when the applied force causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while negative torque causes the object to rotate counterclockwise. This is determined by the direction of the applied force in relation to the axis of rotation.

4. How does torque affect an object's motion?

Torque affects an object's motion by causing it to rotate around an axis. The magnitude of the torque determines the angular acceleration of the object, which is the rate at which the object's angular velocity changes.

5. What factors affect the amount of torque produced?

The amount of torque produced depends on the magnitude of the applied force and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The direction of the force and the angle at which it is applied also play a role in determining the amount of torque.