Calculating battery power life per charge over a given distance

In summary, to calculate battery power life per charge, you need to know the battery capacity and average power consumption of the device. This can vary depending on the device and type of battery used. Distance does not directly affect battery life, but can indirectly impact it. However, there are ways to extend battery power life per charge, such as reducing screen brightness and regularly maintaining and replacing old batteries.
Aquadust
Hi

I am trying to find out how much battery life I need to power a motor for a given amount of distance but I am struggling to make sense of it all. I know from a product I have disassembled that it has a 270W motor with 2 x 24v 24A batterys and it will travel up to 11 miles.

I will be using a 180W motor and have to cover 8 Miles in distance but according to my equations I will need the same amount of power even though the motor being used uses less power.

They equations I have are P= VxI also rearranged gives I=P/V to give me the amps required.

I also tried using J=FxD but I am certain this is wrong in terms of what I am trying to achieve.

I=Current
V=Voltage
P=Power
J=Joules
F=Force
D=Distance

This makes 180/24 = 7.5Amps. the speed it will travel at is between 2-4 MPH so if i use 24v and 24AH batterys it will travel they 8 miles in 2 hours at 4 miles an hour or 2 1/2 hours at 3MPH but any slower say 2 MPH and the battery will not last long enough?

this is based on the motor using 7.5 amps per hour or 7.5aH. So 24aH diveded by the 7.5 = 3.2 hours. This gives how long the battery will last for but the speed will be varied for this application.

Any help with my problem would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are trying to determine the battery life needed for a 180W motor to cover a distance of 8 miles. Based on the information you provided, it seems like you are on the right track with your equations. However, there are a few things to consider when calculating battery life for a motor.

First, it is important to note that the power of a motor is not the only factor that determines the battery life. The efficiency of the motor, as well as the terrain and conditions in which it is being used, can also affect the battery life.

That being said, your calculation of 7.5 amps per hour for a 180W motor is correct. However, this does not account for the efficiency of the motor. If we assume a conservative efficiency of 80%, the actual power consumption of the motor would be 180W/0.8 = 225W. This means that the motor would require 9.4 amps per hour (225W/24V) from the battery.

Next, to determine the battery life, we need to consider the capacity of the batteries. You mentioned that you will be using 2 x 24V 24AH batteries, which gives a total capacity of 48AH. Dividing this by the current required by the motor (9.4 amps per hour) gives a battery life of 5.1 hours. However, as you mentioned, the speed at which the motor is traveling will also affect the battery life. At a speed of 4 MPH, the motor would require 9.4 amps per hour, giving a battery life of 5.1 hours. At a speed of 3 MPH, the motor would require 7.05 amps per hour, giving a battery life of 6.8 hours. And at a speed of 2 MPH, the motor would require 4.7 amps per hour, giving a battery life of 10.2 hours.

In summary, to cover a distance of 8 miles with a 180W motor, you would need a battery with a capacity of at least 48AH. However, the actual battery life will vary depending on the speed at which the motor is traveling. I hope this helps with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your project!

1. How do you calculate battery power life per charge?

To calculate battery power life per charge, you need to know the battery capacity (measured in ampere-hours) and the average power consumption of the device (measured in watts). Divide the battery capacity by the average power consumption to get the approximate battery life per charge.

2. Can battery power life per charge vary depending on the device?

Yes, the battery power life per charge can vary depending on the device. Different devices have different power consumption rates, so the battery life will vary even if they have the same battery capacity.

3. How does distance affect battery power life per charge?

The distance traveled does not directly affect battery power life per charge. However, it can indirectly impact it if the distance traveled requires the device to use more power, such as traveling uphill or using a higher speed setting.

4. Is battery power life per charge affected by the type of battery used?

Yes, the type of battery used can affect the battery power life per charge. Different types of batteries have different capacities and power output, which can impact the overall battery life.

5. Can I extend the battery power life per charge?

Yes, there are ways to extend the battery power life per charge. Some tips include reducing the screen brightness, turning off unnecessary features, and using power-saving modes. Additionally, regularly maintaining and replacing old batteries can also help extend their lifespan.