Find the rate of change of the current in the inductor

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of current in an inductor, given the current in the battery and the circuit shown in Fig. 7. The equations used are i(t)=Imax(1-e-tR/L) and induced emf = L (dI/dt). To find the rate of change, the voltage across the inductor must be calculated, which is equal to the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor. This is found by subtracting the potential drop across the 20 ohm resistor from the battery potential. The final answer is 200 A/s.
machinarium

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown in Fig. 7, what is the rate of change of the current
in the inductor when the current in the battery is 0.50 A?
(1) 600 A/s (2) 400 A/s (3) 200 A/s (4) 800 A/s (5) 500 A/s

attachment.php?attachmentid=31182&stc=1&d=1294548676.jpg

Homework Equations

i(t)=Imax(1-e-tR/L)
induced emf = L (dI/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't fully understand the problem. I don't understand why the current in the battery was given? What would I use that value for?

Please explain to me what I need to know to find out the rate of change of the current. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 5,868
Physics news on Phys.org
Think: How is the voltage across the inductor related to the rate of change of current?

ehild

Can you explain to me the whole problem? Please don't ask such a question, I was already very confused.

Thank you.

The current through the battery is the same as through the 20 ohm resistor. The voltage across the inductor is the same as across the 10 ohm resistor, as they are connected in parallel. Can you find this voltage?

ehild

machinarium said:
I didn't fully understand the problem. I don't understand why the current in the battery was given? What would I use that value for?

Please explain to me what I need to know to find out the rate of change of the current. Thank you very much.

The current through the inductor will be changing with time. As a result, the total current being drawn from the battery will also change with time. By asking what the rate of change of the current through the inductor will be when the current through the battery is a given amount, it is equivalent to asking for the rate of change of the inductor current at a specific moment in time.

Ah, I remembered it. Thank you for your commitment, ehild and gneill

The potential through the inductor is 12 – (20 ohm X 0.5 A) = 2 V
Then dI/dt=2V/10mH=200 A/s
Is that correct?

The answer is correct.

You might refer to the potential across the inductor, rather than through the inductor; Potentials are "across", currents are "through".

gneill said:
You might refer to the potential across the inductor, rather than through the inductor; Potentials are "across", currents are "through".

Potential is defined at a point. Potential difference or voltage is across a resistor or coil, or between two points.

ehild

ehild said:
Potential is defined at a point. Potential difference or voltage is across a resistor or coil, or between two points.

ehild

"Across" implies two points are involved. "potential across" is sloppy shorthand for potential difference across. mea culpa.

1) What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire and is often used in electronic circuits to store and release energy.

2) Why is it important to find the rate of change of current in an inductor?

The rate of change of current in an inductor can affect the performance and stability of an electronic circuit. It is important to understand this rate of change in order to properly design and troubleshoot circuits.

3) How do you calculate the rate of change of current in an inductor?

The rate of change of current in an inductor is equal to the inductance of the inductor multiplied by the change in current over time. This can be represented by the formula dI/dt = L(dI/dt), where dI/dt is the rate of change of current and L is the inductance.

4) What factors affect the rate of change of current in an inductor?

The rate of change of current in an inductor can be affected by the inductance of the inductor, the resistance of the circuit, the frequency of the current, and the type of material used in the inductor.

5) How is the rate of change of current in an inductor measured?

The rate of change of current in an inductor can be measured using a multimeter or oscilloscope. These tools can measure the voltage and current in a circuit, allowing for the calculation of the rate of change of current using the aforementioned formula.