Is E&M a Significant Part of a MechE Degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of E&M (electricity and magnetism) in a MechE (Mechanical Engineering) degree. The speaker, a high school senior taking AP Physics C: E&M, expresses dislike for the subject and asks if they will need to use E&M concepts throughout their undergraduate studies. Another person responds that E&M is not heavily involved in MechE, but there may be some overlap with fluid dynamics. However, the speaker's feelings about E&M may change once they begin college.
abcdegsds
How much E&M is involved in a MechE degree? I'm a high school senior in AP Physics C: E&M and I hate it with a passion. I loved Mechanics, but E&M is terrible. Would I just need to take the one required class (Physics 2), or do I need to use multiple E&M concepts throughout undergrad? I am going to Georgia Tech btw.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Virtually zero E&M is required or used; but keep in mind that classes/subjects can be very different between high-school and college---you might not feel the same way once you get there.

E&M may not be needed for ME, but there are many parallels between fluid dynamics and electromagnetics, - both conceptually and mathematically. Draw whatever conclusions you can from that fact.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. These electrons flow through conductors, such as wires, to power devices and machines.

2. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It is responsible for attracting or repelling objects made of certain materials, such as iron or steel.

3. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and often referred to as electromagnetic forces. When electric charges move, they create a magnetic field. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can create an electric current.

4. What are the different types of electricity and magnetism?

There are two types of electricity: static electricity and current electricity. Static electricity is created by the buildup of charges on an object, while current electricity is the flow of electric charges through a conductor. Similarly, there are two types of magnetism: permanent magnetism and electromagnetism. Permanent magnetism is found in naturally occurring magnets, while electromagnetism is created by the flow of electric current through a wire.

5. How is electricity and magnetism used in everyday life?

Electricity and magnetism are used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. Some common examples include powering electronic devices, generating electricity for homes and buildings, and using magnets to hold objects in place. They are also used in transportation, medical equipment, and many other applications.