Which terms should be grouped together for factorization?

In summary, factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller, simpler components. It is important for solving equations and understanding the relationship between terms. Common factors should be grouped together for factorization, but not all terms can be combined. Factoring out the greatest common factor and grouping terms are two different methods of factorization. To check if factorization is correct, the factors can be multiplied together and simplified, resulting in the original expression.
Johnny Leong
r^2 - xyr + (r^2)s + (x)r^2 - (y)r^2 + rsy

Which terms should be grouped together for factorization? Please give some comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
First they all have r, start from there, the group those with similar variables.

I found that this question cannot be factorized as a very simple answer. If really do factorization, only group several terms together, factorize something out but then cannot proceed.

1. What is factorization and why is it important?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller, simpler components. It is important because it allows us to solve equations and understand the relationship between different terms in an expression.

2. How do I know which terms should be grouped together for factorization?

The terms that should be grouped together for factorization are those that have common factors. Look for terms with the same variables and numbers that can be divided evenly.

3. Can any terms be grouped together for factorization?

No, only terms that have common factors can be grouped together for factorization. Terms with different variables or numbers cannot be combined.

4. What is the difference between factoring out the greatest common factor and grouping terms for factorization?

Factoring out the greatest common factor involves finding the largest factor that can be divided evenly from all terms in an expression. Grouping terms for factorization involves identifying pairs of terms that have common factors and can be factored together.

5. How can I check if my factorization is correct?

You can check your factorization by multiplying the factors together and simplifying the expression. The resulting expression should be the same as the original expression before factorization.