Maxwell Stress Tensor: Find Elements for Plane Wave in Z Direction

In summary, the Maxwell stress tensor for a monochromatic plane wave traveling in the z direction and linearly polarized in the x direction only has non-zero components for T_xx, T_yy, and T_zz. The off diagonal elements, such as T_xy, are all zero due to the fact that only one component of E and B are non-zero. This is because the cross terms in the tensor are all of the form T_{ij}=\epsilon_0E_iE_j + \frac{1}{\mu_0}B_iB_j with i=/=j, but in this case E_y and B_x are both zero.
leonne

Homework Statement

find all elements of maxwell stress tensor for a monochromatic plane wave traveling in z direction and linearly polarized in x.

Homework Equations

Tij=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o(EiEj-(1/2)[tex]\delta[/tex]ij E2+1/[tex]\mu[/tex]o(BiBj-(1/2)[tex]\delta[/tex]B2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found what E and B is well not really important to my question but E =Eocos(KZ-wt) X direction
B=1/c Eocos(KZ-wt)Y direction

I have the solution, but kind of confused. They only found Txx Tyy Tzz why didnt they find Txy ext or is that wht it means by find all elements, just xx yy zz

So i found wht Txx is and I got TXX=1/2([tex]\epsilon[/tex]oE2-B21/[tex]\mu[/tex]o they got the same but than that = to zero. Why does it TXX= to zero? Same for Tyy

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your T_xx is correct. As for the off diagonal terms:

Only one component of E and B are non zero.

The cross terms in the tensor are all of the form:

[tex]T_{ij}=\epsilon_0E_iE_j +\frac{1}{\mu_0}B_iB_j[/tex] with i=/=jLet's consider the x-y term. That is:

[tex]T_{12}=T_{xy}=\epsilon_0E_xE_y +\frac{1}{\mu_0}B_xB_y[/tex]

But, E_y and B_x are zero! Thus, T_xy is zero. Similarly all the other off diagonal elements are zero as well.

o ok thanks for the info

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical construct used to describe the stress and momentum of electromagnetic fields in a given region of space. It is a 4x4 tensor that contains information about the electric and magnetic fields, as well as their derivatives, at a specific point in space and time.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor related to plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that propagate in a single direction, typically represented by the z-direction. The Maxwell Stress Tensor can be used to determine the elements of the electric and magnetic fields for a plane wave propagating in the z-direction.

3. What does the plane wave in the z-direction represent?

A plane wave in the z-direction represents a wave that is traveling in the z-direction with a constant amplitude and phase. It is often used as a simplified model for electromagnetic waves propagating through space.

4. How can the elements of the Maxwell Stress Tensor for a plane wave in the z-direction be calculated?

The elements of the Maxwell Stress Tensor for a plane wave in the z-direction can be calculated using the equations for electric and magnetic fields in a plane wave, which include the direction, amplitude, and phase of the wave. The resulting tensor elements will depend on the specific properties and parameters of the wave.

5. What is the significance of finding the elements of the Maxwell Stress Tensor for a plane wave in the z-direction?

Calculating the elements of the Maxwell Stress Tensor for a plane wave in the z-direction allows for a better understanding of the stress and momentum of the electromagnetic wave. This information is important for various applications in fields such as optics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.