I got kicked out of graduate school. Can I ever get back in?

In summary, it seems that the person in the conversation is a physics graduate who got kicked out for failing classes, but has since tried to find a job in programming or engineering without success. They are now considering applying to grad school again, but are unsure if they have a chance. They plan on retaking the GREs and have a letter of recommendation from their current professor. They are also considering other options such as getting a Master's in EE or a PhD in engineering. However, it is unlikely that they will be accepted back into a physics graduate program due to their past academic performance. Some suggestions are to take graduate courses as a non-degree seeking student and excel in them, or to consider other options and determine why they want to go to
timsea81 said:
You got in the first time, just submit your application to a different school, and leave out the transcripts from the program you failed out of.

I was explicitly warned against doing this by the person who basically told me to withdraw from the university. The idea is that telling or not telling them this information affects their decision to accept or reject me. If later on they found out I didn't disclose this information, they can kick me out even if I'm half way through their graduate program.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mistake said:
My goal is to do research and development in cutting-edge technology and science for a living. I do not merely want to create the next line of cell phones for the rest of my life. I assume that getting a Ph.D. in physics is the best way to attain this goal. But if it's not, then I'd like to know some other options.

The problem with the physics Ph.D. is that you'll be doing science for five to eight years, but after you get your Ph.D., you'll be really happy if someone gives you a job creating the next line of cell phones, because that's as close to doing science as you can get.

After you finish your Ph.d., there are extremely strong odds that you'll be done more or less what you would have been doing had you not done the Ph.D. If you want to do the Ph.D., it needs to be a goal in itself, and you have to face the reality that there is a good chance that the years you spend doing the Ph.D. will be the only time in your life that you are doing science.

The reason I said "I'm not hell-bent on getting my physics PhD" is because if it turned out I can't get another chance, then I'd have to shoot myself, as my life would be over. I have nothing else going for me.

There are lots of people in the world that have had their dreams crushed and survived. You deal with it and move on with your life. The fact that you may fail (or the fact that you will fail) is not necessarily an argument against doing something.

There is nothing I'd rather do more than go back to grad school. I already work at a lab doing the same work a grad student does and getting paid the same amount. I just won't get a degree out of it, so I can't stick around.

The thing is that you won't be able to stick around even if you do get the Ph.D.

timsea81 said:
You got in the first time, just submit your application to a different school, and leave out the transcripts from the program you failed out of.

This isn't going to work. The first thing that people look for is a gap in time, and if they find one, they'll assume the worst.

timsea81 said:

Worst. Advice. Ever.

If you get caught at this - and you will - it's career ending.

Mistake said:
I do not merely want to create the next line of cell phones for the rest of my life.

Why do you think that's not what you will be doing with a PhD in physics? Two students I supervised went on to do exactly that. One works doing something or other with antennas, and the other with improving robustness with respect to noise.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think that's not what you will be doing with a PhD in physics? Two students I supervised went on to do exactly that. One works doing something or other with antennas, and the other with improving robustness with respect to noise.

Exactly. There are many real world problems that need good physicists to tackle. I wish more younger people would understand this.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think that's not what you will be doing with a PhD in physics?

I don't know. I assumed that if I spend 5-7 years working on something like carbon nanotubes, quantum computing, superconductors, or what have you, then that's the kind of thing I'd be working on when I found a job. Why in the hell would I just assume that spending 5-7 years doing cutting edge research in a specific field would mean I end up working on electrical gadgets with 2% increased efficiency?

I mean, if my goal is to eventually work my way up to working on something meaningful, what's the best way to do it?

It's a demand and supply problem.

Nobody is willing to pay thousands of PhD Physics to research X, so you may not find a job doing X. That's what it is.

Verizon spends $44B a year on their wireless network. If you can save them 2%, that's serious money. They are willing to hire a bunch of people under the hopes that they might save 2%.

You should recognize that the most common career path of physics PhDs is to go into industry where they can make someone (perhaps themselves) some money. Continuing to do research that is of academic interest is the exception.

It is possible to flunk out of grad school in biology due to failing course work, take time off, and get accepted to another good grad school if your research was good, your former supervisor recognized it and is willing to write a strong recommendation.

OTOH, there are many other worthwhile things to do other than grad school.

Mistake said:
Why in the hell would I just assume that spending 5-7 years doing cutting edge research in a specific field would mean I end up working on electrical gadgets with 2% increased efficiency?

I mean, if my goal is to eventually work my way up to working on something meaningful, what's the best way to do it?

What you finish up doing depends on how good you REALLY are. Many people doing "research" at PhD level are not doiing much more than filling in a gap in the conventional existing framework of scientific knowledge. That not much different from tweaking an existing cellphone design to make it 2% more efficient IMO.

On the other hand, if you REALLY have the same amount of creative imagination as the late Steve Jobs, there's no reason why you shouldn't finish up as well known. But remember that of every 1,000,000 people who think they have that level of talent, at least 999,999 of them are wrong.

I assumed that if I spend 5-7 years working on something like carbon nanotubes, quantum computing, superconductors, or what have you, then that's the kind of thing I'd be working on when I found a job.

Making that sort of assumption might indicate the sort of one-track-mind that hasn't really got what it takes to do more than "fill in the gaps".

Of course there is lots of work for "one-track-minds" to do, and they can make a good living from doing it. You just need to figure out some REALISTIC expectiations of what you are going to achieve in life.

But remember that of every 1,000,000 people who think they have that level of talent, at least 999,999 of them are wrong

Everyone has the talent but not everyone knows how to utilize their own abilities due to a many number of factors. Those 1 in a 1,000,000 have figured out a way to best establish themselves and think differently from the herd b/c of a many number of factors.

I don't see why you would trust someone straight out of Undergraduate over someone that failed grad school but afterward showed they did work above the course work they failed. Doesn't that show character doesn't that mean anything to you?

You'd believe a person who hasn't proven himself when attempting, but not give someone who really wants a shot and has proven him/her -self within the work they've done in undergrad, an opportunity? I find that extremely unfair.

To respond to the OP, I am still wondering why you failed the classes?

To me, I think it would depend on why, but at the graduate level that looks horrible. A counsel can understand an undergraduate failing out, but then coming back and acing his/her classes but a graduate student? You might want to try your PhD at relatively unknown school if you really want it or just go into a different field but closely related to the field you're interested in.

I know two people, one was a TA (at the time) and the other a full professor who left PhD programs at CMU (two different fields), and ended up graduating from Pitt later on, but, I'm almost certain that they were passing their classes and didn't like the program / environment.

You really might want to work in a lab somewhere doing research at a school, getting published and to know a professor well, demonstrate good research, and taking classes on the side before trying to take a second run at things -- it might help you find an area you like and want to focus on.