Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields

In summary, the Lie derivative of a vector field along the flow of another vector field is defined as the limit of a certain expression, which is equal to the Lie bracket of the two vector fields. The left invariant vector field of a Lie group is defined by a specific relation, and the Lie bracket of two left invariant vector fields does not always vanish due to the fact that a diffeomorphism, rather than a left action, is used in the definition. This can cause confusion, but understanding the concept of the diffeomorphism group can clarify any confusion.
konik13
Hi all,
I was following Nakahara's book and I really got my mind stuck with something. I would appreciate if anybody could help with this.

The Lie derivative of a vector field [itex]Y[/itex] along the flow [itex]\sigma_t[/itex] of another vector field [itex]X[/itex] is defined as
[tex] L_X Y=lim_{\epsilon\to0}\frac{1}{\epsilon}\left[Y|_{x}-(\sigma_{\epsilon})_* Y|_{\sigma_{-\epsilon}(x)}\right][/tex]
wich is equal to the Lie bracket [itex][X,Y][/itex].
Now when he goes on and defines the left invariant vector field [itex]X[/itex] of a Lie group, this is given by demanding the relation
[tex]L_{a*}X|_g=X|_{a\,g}[/tex]
where [itex]L_a[/itex] is the left translation by [itex]a[/itex].

I guess we can assume that this left translation is the result of a flow of some other field.

My question is that since every left-invariant vector field defines a one parameter flow, why the Lie bracket of two left invariant vector fields doesn't vanish identically?

However, we know that the left invariant vector fields define the Lie algebra of the group and this has non-trivial commutation relations.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an old question, but since I stumbled upon it when the same confusion briefly bedeviled me after reading Nakahara, I decided to reply in case others follow a similar path. The key is that $\sigma_{\epsilon} (x)$ does not denote a left action. Instead, $\sigma_{\epsilon}$ denotes the diffeomorphism $\sigma_{t} $ with fixed $t=\epsilon$ from the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms $\sigma_{t}$ (see Nakahara section 5.3.1). The diffeomorphism group $\sigma_{t}$ is the flow resulting from a vector field, but under $\sigma_{\epsilon}$ you send each point $x$ of the manifold (the manifold being a Lie group in the case discussed here) not to its image under a left action, but rather to the point the flow has reached after $\epsilon$ time elapses, if you start the flow from the point $x$.

Last edited:
idempotent1729 said:
This is an old question, but since I stumbled upon it when the same confusion briefly bedeviled me after reading Nakahara, I decided to reply in case others follow a similar path. The key is that $\sigma_{\epsilon} (x)$ does not denote a left action. Instead, $\sigma_{\epsilon}$ denotes the diffeomorphism $\sigma_{t} $ with fixed $t=\epsilon$ from the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms $\sigma_{t}$ (see Nakahara section 5.3.1). The diffeomorphism group $\sigma_{t}$ is the flow resulting from a vector field, but under $\sigma_{\epsilon}$ you send each point $x$ of the manifold (the manifold being a Lie group in the case discussed here) not to its image under a left action, but rather to the point the flow has reached after $\epsilon$ time elapses, if you start the flow from the point $x$.

If I may, 1729 , let me latex-format your answer to make it easier to read (we use double pounds before - and after - to Latex-tag.:

This is an old question, but since I stumbled upon it when the same confusion briefly bedeviled me after reading Nakahara, I decided to reply in case others follow a similar path. The key is that ##\sigma_{\epsilon} (x) ## does not denote a left action. Instead, ##\sigma_{\epsilon} ## denotes the diffeomorphism ## \sigma_{t} ## with fixed ##t=\epsilon ## from the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms ##\sigma_{t} ## (see Nakahara section 5.3.1). The diffeomorphism group ##\sigma_{t} ## is the flow resulting from a vector field, but under ##\sigma_{\epsilon} ## you send each point ##x ## of the manifold (the manifold being a Lie group in the case discussed here) not to its image under a left action, but rather to the point the flow has reached after ##\epsilon ## time elapses, if you start the flow from the point ##x ##

Likes idempotent1729
WWGD said:
If I may, 1729 , let me latex-format your answer to make it easier to read (we use double pounds before - and after - to Latex-tag.:

This is an old question, but since I stumbled upon it when the same confusion briefly bedeviled me after reading Nakahara, I decided to reply in case others follow a similar path. The key is that ##\sigma_{\epsilon} (x) ## does not denote a left action. Instead, ##\sigma_{\epsilon} ## denotes the diffeomorphism ## \sigma_{t} ## with fixed ##t=\epsilon ## from the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms ##\sigma_{t} ## (see Nakahara section 5.3.1). The diffeomorphism group ##\sigma_{t} ## is the flow resulting from a vector field, but under ##\sigma_{\epsilon} ## you send each point ##x ## of the manifold (the manifold being a Lie group in the case discussed here) not to its image under a left action, but rather to the point the flow has reached after ##\epsilon ## time elapses, if you start the flow from the point ##x ##
Thank you so much! I couldn't for the life of me figure it out!

What is the definition of the Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields?

The Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields is a mathematical operation used to measure the rate of change of one vector field along the flow of another vector field. It is denoted by LXY, where X and Y are the two vector fields.

How is the Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields calculated?

The Lie derivative is calculated using the Lie bracket, which is a commutator operation between the two vector fields. The formula for the Lie derivative is LXY = [X, Y], where [X, Y] is the Lie bracket of X and Y.

What is the significance of left invariance in the Lie derivative of two vector fields?

The left invariance property ensures that the Lie derivative is independent of the chosen coordinates or basis. This means that the result of the Lie derivative will be the same regardless of the coordinate system used to describe the vector fields. This is a useful property in various fields of mathematics and physics.

What are some applications of the Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields?

The Lie derivative has many applications in differential geometry, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the symmetries of manifolds, to define Lie groups and Lie algebras, and to study the behavior of vector fields in general relativity and fluid mechanics.

Can the Lie derivative of two left invariant vector fields be extended to more than two vector fields?

Yes, the Lie derivative can be extended to any number of vector fields. The general formula for the Lie derivative of n vector fields is LX1LX2...LXn.