I this mathematically 'legal'?

• Thread starter blahblah8724
  • Start date
In summary, when trying to bound a complex number using |z| = R, the 'modulus of the square' can be turned into the 'square of the modulus'. This is allowed because the function f(x) = x^2 is increasing on (0, infinite) in the reals. However, this rule is only valid if a and b are both positive. The triangle inequality also gives another inequality, |z+i| >= |i|-|z|, which can be used in conjunction with the first inequality to arrive at the correct conclusion. The rule is essentially (a >= b and a >= -b) --> a^2 >= b^2. It is also true that |z|^2 = |z^
blahblah8724
When trying to bound this complex number using [itex] |z| = R [/itex], I turned the 'modulus of the square' into the 'square of the modulus', is this allowed?!

[itex] |(z + i)^2| [/itex]

[itex] = (|z+i|)^2 [/itex] 'modulus of the square' into the 'square of the modulus'

[itex] \geq (|z| - |i| )^2 [/itex] triangle inequality variation

[itex] = (|z| - 1)^2 [/itex]

[itex] = (R - 1)^2 [/itex]

Help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you test it by direct computation ?

The key is to note that the function [itex] f(x) = x^2 [/itex] is increasing on [itex](0, \infty) [/itex] in the reals. Does that help?

dextercioby said:
Why don't you test it by direct computation ?
Because, while finding a counterexample would show it is NOT true, getting any number of examples where it does work would not prove it is true.

Are you aware of the polar representation of complex numbers (aka Euler's formula)?
That is, [itex]z=re^{i\phi}[/itex], where [itex]|z|=r[/itex].

Perhaps you might consider what |z2| would be versus |z|2...?

Yes, blahblah8724, your reasoning is correct.

blahblah8724 said:
[itex] = (|z+i|)^2 [/itex] 'modulus of the square' into the 'square of the modulus'

[itex] \geq (|z| - |i| )^2 [/itex] triangle inequality variation

Technically this is not allowed. The rule used here is seemingly a >= b --> a^2 > b^2 which is valid as a rule only if a,b > 0. In this case b= |z|-|i| could be negative. However, the triangle inequality also gives |z+i| >= |i|-|z|, so the conclusion is correct, but only after using both inequalities. Essentially: (a >= b and a >= -b) --> a^2 >= b^2.

disregardthat said:
Technically this is not allowed. The rule used here is seemingly a >= b --> a^2 > b^2 which is valid as a rule only if a,b > 0. In this case b= |z|-|i| could be negative. However, the triangle inequality also gives |z+i| >= |i|-|z|, so the conclusion is correct, but only after using both inequalities. Essentially: (a >= b and a >= -b) --> a^2 >= b^2.

Good point. Although here it turns out you arrived at a correct inequality, as 'disregardthat' pointed out, this is due to:

[tex]
\vert z_{1} - z_{2} \vert \ge \vert \vert z_1 \vert - \vert z_2 \vert \vert \ge 0
[/tex]

I was under the impression that that reasoning was already implicit, and was the reason for working with the squared terms in the first place.

The squaring of the terms had nothing to do with it. The fact that we compare positive numbers (under the squaring operation) allows us to write the same inequality for the squares as well.

hmm...is it true that [itex]|z|^2 = |z^2|[/itex]?

well, I'm notoriously weak-minded, so i will just see if this works:

let [itex]z = a+ib[/itex]. then [itex]|z|^2 = (\sqrt{a^2 + b^2})^2 = a^2 + b^2[/itex].

now [itex]|z^2| = |(a+ib)(a+ib)| = |(a^2 - b^2) + i(2ab)| = \sqrt{(a^2 - b^2)^2 + (2ab)^2}[/itex]

[tex]= \sqrt{a^4 - 2a^2b^2 + b^4 + 4a^2b^2} = \sqrt{a^4 + 2a^2b^2 + b^4} = \sqrt{(a^2+b^2)^2} = a^2 + b^2[/tex]

huh. i guess so.

It follows from a more general property of the modulus:

[tex]
\vert z_1 \, z_2 \vert = \vert z_1 \vert \, \vert z_2 \vert
[/tex]

1. What does it mean for something to be mathematically 'legal'?

When something is mathematically 'legal', it means that it follows the rules and principles of mathematics and is considered valid and acceptable within the context of a mathematical problem or concept.

2. How do I know if my mathematical solution is 'legal'?

To determine if a mathematical solution is 'legal', you should check if it follows the rules and principles of mathematics, such as using the correct operations and equations, and if it makes logical sense within the context of the problem.

3. Can something be mathematically 'legal' but still be incorrect?

Yes, something can be mathematically 'legal' but still be incorrect if it follows the rules of mathematics but does not accurately solve the problem or align with the given information.

4. Is there ever a situation where something is mathematically 'illegal'?

Yes, there are situations where something can be considered mathematically 'illegal'. For example, using an undefined operation or dividing by zero are not allowed in mathematics and would be considered 'illegal'.

5. How can I improve my understanding of what is mathematically 'legal'?

The best way to improve your understanding of what is mathematically 'legal' is to study the fundamental rules and principles of mathematics, practice solving various problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed.