Boltzmann constant in formulas

In summary: J/K then T and E_g better be in Joules. Hope that helped!In summary, when using the k value of 8.62*10-5 eV/K, the intrinsic carrier concentration can be found by: sqrt(Nc*Nv)*e-Eg(T)/2kT. When using the k value of 1.38*10-23J/K, the intrinsic carrier concentration can be found by: sqrt(Nc*Nv)*e-Eg(T)/2kT.
aarnes
Hi, I see that Boltzmann constant comes in different forms like: k=8.62*10-5 eV/K and also k=1.38*10-23J/K.
Which one should I use in , say formula for intrinsic carrier concentration ni = sqrt(Nc*Nv)*e-Eg(T)/2kT ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kT has units of energy; Joules or electron volts. Always remember that an exponent has to be unitless. If the numerator has volts, then kT is in eV.

Sometimes you will see kTB which is noise power times bandwidth.

The noise power is kTB where k= 1.38 x 10-20 millijoules per deg kelvin, T=293 kelvin, and B(bandwidth in Hz)= 1 MHz

So noise power is 1.38 x 10-20 x 293 x 106 Hz= 4 x 10-12milliwatts per MHz = -114 dBm per MHz.

Add 3 dB noise figure to get -111 dBm per MHz

Last edited:
Thank you, Bob! I used the eV form before but I saw some different results on the web and just wasn't sure why is there always a slightly different value for ni, depending on which website you look.

Instead of [itex]k_ B = 8.62 \times 10^{-5} \, \frac{\mathrm{eV}}{\mathrm{K}}[/itex], people usually find it convenient to remember the following number:
[tex]
k_B = \frac{1 \, \mathrm{eV}}{11600 \, \mathrm{K}}
[/tex]

(notice that [itex](8.62 \times 10^{-5})^{-1} = 1.16 \times 10^4[/itex], so the above are equivalent)

At room temperature [itex]T \approx 293 \, \mathrm{K}[/itex], the value [itex]k_B \, T \approx 25 \, \mathrm{meV}[/itex].

Dickfore said:
At room temperature [itex]T \approx 293 \, \mathrm{K}[/itex], the value [itex]k_B \, T \approx 25 \, \mathrm{meV}[/itex].

On the web you usually see 300K as room temperature. I guess it depends on one's preference? :D

aarnes said:
On the web you usually see 300K as room temperature. I guess it depends on one's preference? :D

Right, that is why i used only 2 significant figures in the final result and the approximate sign.

aarnes said:
Hi, I see that Boltzmann constant comes in different forms like: k=8.62*10-5 eV/K and also k=1.38*10-23J/K.
Which one should I use in , say formula for intrinsic carrier concentration ni = sqrt(Nc*Nv)*e-Eg(T)/2kT ?

boy, you sure are good at using HTML markup. i never knew you could get a subscript in the superscript. anyway, it might look better with LaTeX

[tex] n_i \ = \ \sqrt{N_c N_v} e^{-\frac{E_g(T)}{2 k T}} [/tex]

now, to answer your question, you want you [itex]kT[/itex] quantity to be in the same units as the [itex]E_g[/itex] quantity. if [itex]k=8.62 \times 10^5[/itex] eV/K then [itex]T[/itex] better be in Kelvin and [itex]E_g[/itex] better be in eV.

1. What is the Boltzmann constant (k)?

The Boltzmann constant (k) is a physical constant that relates the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas to the temperature of the gas. It is equal to 1.380649 x 10^-23 Joules per Kelvin (J/K).

2. What is the importance of the Boltzmann constant in formulas?

The Boltzmann constant is crucial in many scientific formulas, particularly in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as it allows for the conversion between temperature and energy. It also plays a significant role in the study of gases and the behavior of particles at the molecular level.

3. How is the Boltzmann constant related to the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law (PV = nRT) includes the Boltzmann constant (k) as a conversion factor to relate temperature to energy. It allows for the calculation of the average kinetic energy of gas particles given the temperature, and vice versa.

4. Can the Boltzmann constant be derived from other fundamental constants?

Yes, the Boltzmann constant can be derived from other fundamental constants, such as the gas constant (R) and Avogadro's number (NA). It is equal to the product of these two constants divided by the number of particles (n) and the universal gas constant (R). Therefore, it has units of energy per temperature.

5. How is the Boltzmann constant used in the study of quantum mechanics?

The Boltzmann constant is used in the study of quantum mechanics to determine the probability of a particle being in a specific energy state at a given temperature. It is also used in the calculation of the partition function, which is a fundamental concept in the statistical mechanics of quantum systems.