Momentary relay or transistor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit that triggers a relay when it detects a loud noise. The relay is connected to a strobe to capture the moment of impact with a camera. The circuit is designed to hold the signal until it is triggered again, causing the strobe to fire repeatedly. The person wonders if there is a relay or transistor that can fire momentarily upon receiving a signal, or if they need a trigger circuit. It is suggested to use a 555 timer in monostable configuration, which can be adjusted using a capacitor and resistor. The output signal from the circuit turns on a transistor that activates the 555 timer, creating a pulse with a specific width. This output then switches a transistor to drive the output relay.
SerialCoder
I am working with a kit circuit that I ordered online. The circuit triggers a relay when it "hears" a loud noise. I am going to hook the relay to a strobe to capture the moment of impact. with my camera. The circuit by design triggers and "holds" the signal until it hears it again. This will cause my strobe to fire repeatedly until it is tripped again. Is there such thing as a relay or transistor that will fire momentarily when it gets a signal? Do I just need to get a trigger circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use 555 timer in monostable configuration.
555 timer can work as monostable or astable oscillator.
The pulse width is adjusted using capacitor and resistor, you can see the configuration for monostable on the web.
The output signal from your circuit turns on a transistor that turns on the 555 timer.
Once the timer is on, it creates a pulse with width calculated by your capacitor and resistor.
Then the outupt of the 555 timer should switch a transistor to drive the output relay.

1. What is a momentary relay or transistor?

A momentary relay or transistor is an electronic switch that can be used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is typically used to turn a device on or off, or to switch between different circuits.

2. How does a momentary relay or transistor work?

A momentary relay or transistor works by using a small electric signal to control a larger electric current. When the signal is applied, the relay or transistor allows the larger current to flow through the circuit, and when the signal is removed, the current is cut off.

3. What are the advantages of using a momentary relay or transistor?

The main advantage of using a momentary relay or transistor is that it allows for precise control over the flow of electricity in a circuit. It can also handle high currents and voltages, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. What are the differences between a momentary relay and a transistor?

While both a momentary relay and a transistor can be used as electronic switches, there are some key differences between the two. A relay uses an electromagnet to control the flow of current, while a transistor uses a semiconductor. Additionally, a relay can handle higher voltages and currents than a transistor.

5. What are some common uses for momentary relays and transistors?

Momentary relays and transistors are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in industrial applications for controlling machinery and in automotive systems for controlling lights and motors.