Integral calculus involving Change of Variables Theorem

In summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving the evaluation of a triple integral with a given region of integration and the use of change of variables theorem. Suggestions are given to use symmetry and reduce the limits of the integral to simplify the computation.
Yami

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\iiint_\textrm{V} |xyz|dxdydz[/tex]
where [tex]V = \{(x,y,z) \in ℝ^3:\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} + \frac{z^2}{c^2} ≤ 1\}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Change of Variables Theorem:
[tex]\int_\textrm{ψ(u)} f(x)dx = \int_\textrm{K} f(\Psi(u))|detD\Psi(u)|du[/tex]

Examples:
1)
For a ball of radius a,
[tex]B(a) = \{(x,y,z) \in ℝ^3:x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ a^2\}[/tex]
[tex]vol B(a) = \int_\textrm{B(a)}1 dxdydz[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{a} \rho^2 sin \phi d \rho d \phi d \theta[/tex](change of variables to spherical coodinates)

2)
For a continuous function f: D → ℝ where
[tex]D = \{(x,y) :\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} ≤ 1\}[/tex]

define ψ: ℝ^2 → ℝ^2 by ψ(au, bv) for all u,v in ℝ^2. ψ is a smooth change of variables.
Then
[tex]\int_\textrm{D}f(x,y)dxdy = ab\int_\textrm{u^2 + v^2 ≤ 1}f(au, bv) du dv[/tex]
[tex] = ab\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{1}f(ar cos \theta, br sin \theta) r dr d \theta . [/tex]
(change of variables to polar coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on those examples above in the book, I set this up:
Let ψ(u,v,w) = (au, bv, cw)
Then
[tex]\iiint_\textrm{V} |xyz|dxdydz = abc\int_\textrm{u^2 + v^2 + w^2≤ 1}|abcuvw| du dvdw[/tex]
change of variables to spherical coordinates:
[tex] = abc\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} |abc\rho^3 cos \phi sin^2 \phi cos \theta sin \theta|\rho^2 sin \phi d \rho d \phi d \theta . [/tex]

[tex] = (abc)^2\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} \rho^5 cos \phi sin^3 \phi cos \theta sin \theta d \rho d \phi d \theta . [/tex]
p^3 is positive on [0, 1] so I ignored the absolute value lines.

This eventually led to an answer of 0 since one of the antiderivates is sin^4(phi)on [0,pi] which is zero. This is wrong. So I'm guessing the integral I set up or the way I evaluated it is wrong. But I got half credit for it, so I assume some part of it is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is your region of integration, the original integral had modulus signs in and that will restrict which regions you have for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. So there are 8 regions you need to consider what the integrand does, you need to think about this, as a simple warm up problem, think about what you would do with the following integral:
[tex]
\int_{-a}^{a}|x|dx
[/tex]
Then perhaps move up to the double integral where you have only 4 regions to consider.

You can't remove the absolute values from the angles. [itex] \sin(\phi) [/itex]is always positive in the integral domain, but all the other trigonometric functions change signs.

Okay so I can't ignore the absolute value...
And you're saying these are the wrong regions?
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1}[/tex]?

Did you see my suggestion? It turns the integrand into an even function (see the example I gave) and as with the example:
[tex]
\int_{-a}^{a}|x|dx=2\int_{0}^{a}xdx=a^{2}
[/tex]
How does this example fit in with your question?

To answer your question, yes, it is your region that you're integrating over.

hunt_mat said:
Did you see my suggestion? It turns the integrand into an even function (see the example I gave) and as with the example:
[tex]
\int_{-a}^{a}|x|dx=2\int_{0}^{a}xdx=a^{2}
[/tex]
How does this example fit in with your question?

To answer your question, yes, it is your region that you're integrating over.
Okay I'm a little confused.

I removed the abc from the integral for the sake of simplicity and tried plugging it into Matlab's triplequad() function. The answer is 1/6 according to Matlab, but obviously I need to know how to evaluate this by hand.

So I'm trying to see how it got to 1/6:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} |\rho^3 cos \phi sin^2 \phi cos \theta sin \theta|\rho^2 sin \phi d \rho d \phi d \theta[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} |\rho^3|| cos \phi sin^2 \phi cos \theta sin \theta|\rho^2 sin \phi d \rho d \phi d \theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} \rho^5 |cos \phi sin^2 \phi cos \theta sin \theta| sin \phi d \rho d \phi d \theta[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1}{6}|cos \phi sin^2 \phi ||cos \theta sin \theta| sin \phi d \phi d \theta = \frac{1}{6} \int_{0}^{2\pi} |cos \theta sin \theta|[\int_{0}^{0.5\pi} (cos \phi sin^2 \phi ) sin \phi d \phi + \int_{0.5\pi}^{\pi} -(cos \phi sin^2 \phi ) sin \phi d \phi ] d \theta[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{6}\int_{0}^{2\pi}2|cos \theta sin \theta| d\theta[/tex]
which I'm guessing I would spit into
[tex]=\frac{1}{3}[\int_{0}^{0.5\pi}cos \theta sin \theta d \theta + \int_{0.5\pi}^{\pi}-cos \theta sin \theta d \theta + \int_{\pi}^{1.5\pi}cos \theta sin \theta d \theta + \int_{1.5\pi}^{2\pi}-cos \theta sin \theta d \theta][/tex]
But I don't think that's 1/6
Is any of this correct at all?

Last edited:
My idea was that you know that the modulus makes the integrand an even function, so you can reduce the limits of the integral. For the 2D example over the disc, we can reduce the integral:
[tex]
\int\int_{D}|xy|dxdy=4\int\int_{D_{1}}xydxdy
[/tex]
Where [itex]D=\{ (x,y)|x^{2}+y^{2}\leqslant 1\}[/itex] and [itex]D_{1}=\{ (x,y):x^{2}+y^{2}\leqslant 1,x\geqslant 0,y\geqslant 0\}[/itex]

I'm still confused... so none of what I did above is correct?

Okay so you're saying this would work?
[tex]\int\int_{D}|xyz|dxdydz=8\iiint_{D_{1}}xyzdxdydz[/tex]
[tex]D=\{ (x,y,z)|x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤ 1\}[/tex] and [tex]D_{1}=\{ (x,y,z)|x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤ 1, x ≥ 0, y≥0, z ≥ 0\}[/tex]

Yes, you are beginning to use the symmetry now. Did you test it to see if you got the right answer?

I think what you did is a good idea but it can lead to errors if you're not careful.

Mat

1. What is the Change of Variables Theorem in integral calculus?

The Change of Variables Theorem is a mathematical tool used in integral calculus to simplify the integration of functions by changing the variables involved. It states that if a function f(x,y) can be expressed in terms of variables u and v, then the integral of f(x,y) over a region R can be rewritten as an integral of f(u,v) over a region S, where S is the image of R under the transformation u = g(x,y) and v = h(x,y).

2. Why is the Change of Variables Theorem useful?

The Change of Variables Theorem is useful because it allows for the simplification of complicated integrals by transforming them into integrals that are easier to evaluate. This is especially helpful in cases where the original integral is difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

3. How do you determine the appropriate variables to use in the Change of Variables Theorem?

The choice of variables in the Change of Variables Theorem is dependent on the given function and the region of integration. In general, it is best to choose variables that will result in a simpler expression for the function being integrated. This often involves using polar or spherical coordinates instead of cartesian coordinates.

4. Can the Change of Variables Theorem be applied to multiple integrals?

Yes, the Change of Variables Theorem can be applied to multiple integrals, including double and triple integrals. However, the transformation of variables must be done carefully to ensure that the resulting integral is still over the same region and the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Change of Variables Theorem?

While the Change of Variables Theorem is a powerful tool in integral calculus, it does have its limitations. It may not always be possible to find a suitable transformation of variables for a given integral, and even when one exists, it may not always result in a simpler integral. Additionally, the transformation can sometimes introduce new complexities, such as singularities, that must be accounted for in the evaluation of the integral.