Comparing Physics & Math in First Two Year Courses

In summary, upper division physics courses are similar to lower division courses in terms of material, with a greater emphasis on physical intuition and applying math in physical situations. It is important to have a good grasp on concepts and problem-solving strategies from previous courses, but it is not necessary to remember everything. Notes and textbooks can be referenced when needed.
TDRR
Edit: I meant "first two year physics courses vs first two year math courses" in the title.

I know each school is different as far as how professors teach, but for those of you who are in your 3rd/4th year and beyond as a Physics major, how would you compare the material?

I'm not asking if Upper Division courses are more difficult, but do they resemble something more similar to Freshman E&M where it seemed like there was more math (Vector Calculus) than concepts, or more like Mechanics where it was a tad the opposite? Maybe something like the third course in Physics (Waves-Thermodynamics-Relativity-QM) where it was "balanced?"

Would you say you had to remember quite a lot of the concepts and peoblwm solving strategies you learned in your first 3 Physics courses? I'm starting to feel a little anxious and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org

I just started my upper division physics classes last quarter and to be honest its pretty similar. Obviously however, you're required to have a better grasp of the math at these levels and be able to apply it in physical situation. I think (and this is all opinion so take it as you will) that mostly you're going to notice a larger emphasis on physical intuition and whether or not things make "physical sense". But it's do-able and much more interesting than lower division stuff if you ask me.

Thank you mateomy! One last question, how much did you have to remember from your original Greshman/Sophmore Physics courses or was it like relearning everything in a new way all over again?

Well, it all builds on itself. If you can't -for instance- remember how to solve simple problems using Guass' Law in E&M the upper division problems will seem a lot more complicated and confusing. But if you don't remember everything that's not a big deal so long as you have old notes and problems to reference. I'd doubt most people, save for the rare few, could remember EVERYTHING from their old classes. Just save your books and notes. They almost always prove valuable.

As a scientist who has studied both physics and math, I can provide some insight into this topic. First of all, it is important to note that both physics and math are heavily intertwined and rely on each other for understanding. In fact, many concepts in physics can only be fully understood with a strong foundation in mathematics.

In terms of comparing first two year physics courses versus first two year math courses, it really depends on the individual's strengths and interests. In general, I would say that first two year physics courses tend to focus more on conceptual understanding and problem-solving, while first two year math courses tend to focus more on building a strong foundation in mathematical techniques and theories.

In freshman E&M, as you mentioned, there is a heavy emphasis on vector calculus and mathematical techniques. However, this is necessary for understanding the underlying concepts and principles in electricity and magnetism. Similarly, in mechanics, while there may be less emphasis on math, it is still crucial for understanding and applying concepts such as forces, motion, and energy.

As for upper division courses, they do tend to become more challenging and more heavily reliant on mathematical techniques. However, this is not to say that the concepts become less important. In fact, as you progress in your physics studies, you will find that the concepts and problem-solving strategies you learned in your first two years will continue to be relevant and necessary.

My advice would be to not get too anxious about the level of math in upper division physics courses. Instead, focus on building a strong foundation in both physics and math in your first two years. This will help you in the long run and make it easier to understand and apply more complex concepts in your upper division courses.

In conclusion, physics and math are both crucial for understanding and advancing in the field of science. While there may be a heavier emphasis on one or the other in certain courses, they are both equally important and should be studied together for a well-rounded understanding of the subject. Keep working hard and don't be afraid to seek help if needed. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between physics and math in first two year courses?

Physics and math are two distinct fields of study. Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Math, on the other hand, is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes, and their relationships through the use of symbols and equations. In first two year courses, physics and math may overlap in topics such as calculus, but physics applies these mathematical concepts to real-world phenomena while math focuses on theoretical concepts and problem-solving.

2. Are the prerequisites for physics and math in first two year courses the same?

The prerequisites for physics and math in first two year courses may vary depending on the specific course and institution. However, in general, physics courses typically require a strong foundation in math, particularly in algebra and calculus. It is recommended to have taken pre-calculus or calculus in high school before enrolling in a physics course. Math courses usually have their own set of prerequisites, such as a strong understanding of algebra and geometry.

3. What are the main concepts covered in first two year physics courses?

First two year physics courses cover a broad range of topics, including mechanics, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. These courses focus on developing a fundamental understanding of the physical world and how it operates, as well as the application of mathematical concepts to solve problems and explain phenomena.

4. How do physics and math courses complement each other in the first two years?

Physics and math courses complement each other in the first two years by providing a strong foundation in both the theoretical and practical aspects of science. While physics uses mathematical concepts to explain and explore the natural world, math courses provide the necessary tools and skills to solve complex problems and equations in physics. Together, they help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in both fields.

5. What career opportunities are available to students with a background in physics and math?

Students with a background in physics and math have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can pursue careers in fields such as engineering, computer science, data analysis, finance, and research. Additionally, many graduate programs in science and engineering require a strong foundation in both physics and math, making these courses essential for students planning to pursue further education in these fields.