Trying to find references for polarization effect of Normal Zeeman Effect

In summary, the internet seems to say that σ and ∏ have circular polarization, and that for Δml=1,-1 there will be a photon with spin 1 or -1, and for Δml=o there will be an equal amount of photons with spin 1 and -1. This corresponds to a linearly polarized light. It is a bit of a hand wavey argument, and I don't really understand it.
Ashuron
Hi,

I am trying to find a resource that can explain how σ and ∏ lines obtain their polarizations.
I have not found resource that actually show the calculation or solid explanation that show this.The references are usually state that σ and ∏ have circular polarization and linear polarization respectively. But they did not explain why, assume that it is a given fact.

Some resources in the internet seems to explain this by conservation of angular momentum J. Since in Normal Zeeman Effect S=0 for both states involved in the transition, L is conserved. So, the resources reasoned that for Δml=1,-1 , a photon with spin 1 or -1 will be produced. They correspond to left and right circularly polarized light. For Δml=o, they state that there will be equal amount of photon with spin 1 and -1. This corresponds to a linearly polarized light. It seems a lot of hand waving argument.

I have checked some textbooks like Fowles' Modern Optics. It has 2 pages explanation with pictures. It interpret the transition as an oscillating dipole. The example discussed 1s and 2p transitions of Hydrogen atoms. The book do not give any calculation. I also prefer to have an explanation how to apply the explanation for different orbitals, not only 1s and 2p transitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I had a similar problem finding references for this previously. I don't think I ever found an explanation for it other than the hand wavey stuff. I'll have a look back at my report and let you know if I find anything.

Actually the QM textbook by cohen tannoudji has some mathematical explanation.
But it's a bit beyond me.

I think this was the most useful thing I found, but I still don't really get it. It doesn't actually explain why the polarisation happens either.
www.unc.edu/~mgood/research/Zeeman_Effect.doc [Broken]

It looks like all my other web links have expired or moved, other than this one. I think I gave up at this point!
http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/people/Peter.Gallagher/lectures/js_atomic/JS_atomic_lecture12.ppt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx a lot.

1. What is the Normal Zeeman Effect?

The Normal Zeeman Effect is an optical phenomenon where spectral lines of an atom are split into multiple components when placed in a magnetic field. This splitting is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electron's magnetic moment.

2. How does polarization play a role in the Normal Zeeman Effect?

Polarization refers to the direction of the electric field in an electromagnetic wave. In the case of the Normal Zeeman Effect, the magnetic field causes the spectral lines to split and the direction of the electric field becomes aligned with the direction of the magnetic field. This results in the light becoming polarized.

3. What causes the polarization effect in the Normal Zeeman Effect?

The polarization effect in the Normal Zeeman Effect is caused by the energy level splitting of the atom's spectral lines. This splitting is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electron's magnetic moment, which results in a change in the orientation of the electric field in the emitted light.

4. How is the polarization effect of the Normal Zeeman Effect measured?

The polarization effect in the Normal Zeeman Effect can be measured using a polarimeter or a polarizing filter. These tools allow for the detection and measurement of the direction and intensity of the polarized light emitted from the split spectral lines.

5. What are some applications of the polarization effect of the Normal Zeeman Effect?

The polarization effect of the Normal Zeeman Effect has various applications in fields such as astronomy, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study the magnetic fields of stars, measure atomic energy levels, and provide evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms.