Analysis of mechanism, DOF, repeated bonds of mechanism

However, it is important to carefully consider which links to remove in order to maintain the functionality of the mechanism.
Firefriendly
Analysis of mechanism, DOF, "repeated bonds" of mechanism

Homework Statement

The scheme is incomplete, nevertheless it is the way it is. It is required to determine the number of degrees of freedom for the given mechanism. Also, to find the number of "repeated bonds" (my english is poor) in this mechanism and remove it from the schematic. In other words - to simplify the mechanism by removing some of linkage without loosing any of its functionality.

Homework Equations

DOF: W=3*n-2*p1-p2
n - number of links
p1 - number of kinematic pairs of lower degree (1 DOF)
p2 - number of kinematic pairs of higher degree (2 DOF)
W - number of degrees of freedom

Repeated bonds:
q=W-6*n+5*p1+4*p2
q - number of repeated (unnecesary) bonds
else given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find 10 links in the mechanism, and according to my calclulation there are 14 kinematic pairs of lower degree, so W=3*n-2*p1-p2=3*10-2*14-0=2. Now the number of repeated relations: q=W-6*n+5*p1+4*p2=2-6*10+5*14+4*0=12. Okay, but which? I suppose I don't have the engineer's eye on things like this. Please check the calculations, give your oppinion and suggest any links to remove in order to simplify the mechanism.

Attachments

• Drawing1 Model (1).jpg
    Drawing1 Model (1).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
The number of DOF is 2 and the number of repeated bonds is 12. To simplify the mechanism, you could remove any two of the links that are connected to a single joint. This would reduce the number of links and the number of kinematic pairs, resulting in fewer DOF and fewer unnecessary bonds.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing the mechanism of a system?

The purpose of analyzing the mechanism of a system is to understand and explain how the system works and how its components interact with each other to perform a specific task.

2. How do you determine the degree of freedom (DOF) of a mechanism?

The DOF of a mechanism can be determined by counting the number of independent inputs or movements required to fully control the system. This can also be calculated using the Gruebler's equation, which takes into account the number of links and joints in the mechanism.

3. What is the significance of repeated bonds in a mechanism?

Repeated bonds in a mechanism refer to the presence of multiple links connected by the same joint. This can provide additional stability and strength to the mechanism, but it also adds complexity to the analysis and design process.

4. How does the analysis of mechanism help in the design process?

Analyzing the mechanism of a system helps in the design process by identifying potential issues or limitations, optimizing the system for efficiency and performance, and ensuring that the desired task can be achieved with the available components and movements.

5. Can the analysis of mechanism be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the analysis of mechanism can be applied to all types of systems, from simple machines to complex mechanical and biological systems. It is a fundamental aspect of engineering and science that helps in understanding and improving the functionality of various systems.