Mitosis: 2n=12 - Help Understanding Chromosome/DNA Content

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses the chromosome and DNA content of a cell during different phases of mitosis and meiosis. It is clarified that in G1 phase, the cell has 6 chromosomes and 6 molecules of DNA. After DNA replication in S phase, the cell has 12 molecules of DNA. In G2 phase, the cell has 12 chromosomes and 12 molecules of DNA. At the end of mitosis, the daughter cell will have the same chromosome and DNA content as the G1 phase. However, in meiosis, the cell goes from diploid to haploid during anaphase, not telophase. The conversation also mentions a cell with 2n=12 chromosomes and discusses the chromosome and DNA content
nemzy
Lets say for example, that a cell contains 2n=12 chromosomes..

In mitosis and..does that mean that in

g1: cell has 6 chromosomes and 6 molecules of dna
s: cell has 12 molecules of dna
g2: cell has 12 chromosomes and 12 molecules of dna

so at the end of mitosis, the cell with have 12 chromosomes and 12 molecules of dna?

what i don't understand is that shuldnt the daughter cell of mitosis be exactly equal to the G1 phase of mitosis in terms of chromosome / dna content?\

also in meiosis, in which mitotic phase does the cell go from diploid to haploid..i thought it was telephose but the answer was anaphase..why? Isn't it still diploid since in anaphase the cell is still one cell

also..lets say a cell contains chrosomome # 2n=12

does the daughter cell of mitosis have the same chrosome #/dna content as G1?

shouldnt that mean that in g1, there is 12 chrosomes

and in g2..there are 24 chrosomomes..but that is not the case, and only 12 chrosomes in g2...

i am so confused ! help please final exam tomrorow

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
i know the stages of mitosis clearly, but i don't understand the chrosomoes duplicating part...

although that site has plentiful info about mitosis/meiosis that site didnt answer my questions

nemzy said:
g1: cell has 6 chromosomes and 6 molecules of dna
s: cell has 12 molecules of dna
g2: cell has 12 chromosomes and 12 molecules of dna

it should be
G1: 6 pair of chromosome and 12 chromosome
At the end of S and G2: 24 chromosomes and 12 (2*6) pairs chromosome.

nemzy said:
so at the end of mitosis, the cell with have 12 chromosomes and 12 molecules of dna?

what i don't understand is that shuldnt the daughter cell of mitosis be exactly equal to the G1 phase of mitosis in terms of chromosome / dna content?\

The daughter cell at the end of Mitosis will be exactly at the point of G and it is

6 pair of chromosome and 12 chromosome

nemzy said:
also in meiosis, in which mitotic phase does the cell go from diploid to haploid..i thought it was telephose but the answer was anaphase..why? Isn't it still diploid since in anaphase the cell is still one cell

Everything has started to segragate during anaphase and stoping the reaction would not results in a diploid

also..lets say a cell contains chrosomome # 2n=12

nemzy said:
does the daughter cell of mitosis have the same chrosome #/dna content as G1?

shouldnt that mean that in g1, there is 12 chrosomes

and in g2..there are 24 chrosomomes..but that is not the case, and only 12 chrosomes in g2...

can you dive more infor on this. Is it still part of metosis that you are asking or is a mitosis question.

Cell that goes through meosis do not go through the exact same cycles as the mitosis cell.

Last edited:

1. What is mitosis?

Mitosis is a type of cell division that results in two genetically identical daughter cells. It is a crucial process for growth, repair, and reproduction in multi-cellular organisms.

2. What is the significance of 2n=12 in mitosis?

In mitosis, 2n=12 refers to the number of chromosomes present in a cell. This means that each cell has 12 pairs of chromosomes, for a total of 24 individual chromosomes.

3. How does mitosis help in maintaining chromosome and DNA content?

Mitosis ensures that each daughter cell receives an exact copy of the parent cell's chromosomes and DNA. This helps in maintaining the correct number of chromosomes and genetic material in each cell, which is crucial for proper cell function and development.

4. What is the role of chromosomes in mitosis?

Chromosomes are the carriers of genetic information and play a crucial role in mitosis. They condense and become visible during mitosis, allowing for the equal distribution of genetic material to the daughter cells.

5. How does mitosis differ from meiosis?

Mitosis results in two identical daughter cells, while meiosis results in four genetically diverse daughter cells. Additionally, mitosis is a somatic cell division, while meiosis is a type of cell division that leads to the formation of gametes (sex cells).