Check whether I am correct in Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a function ##r## and its partial derivatives with respect to ##x## and ##y##. The formula shows that a small change in ##r## can be calculated by multiplying the partial derivatives at a specific point ##(y=k)## by the small changes in ##x## and ##y##. The conversation also clarifies that the point ##(k,k)## can be replaced with arbitrary points ##(x_0,y_0)##, meaning the constant values of ##x## and ##y## do not have to be the same.
yungman
If ##r## is a function of ## x,y##, then
[tex]\delta r= \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\delta x + \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\delta y[/tex]
Means

Small change of r = ##\left[\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\right]_{y=k}## X (Small change of x) + ##\left[\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\right]_{x=k}## X (Small change of y)

Where ##k## is a constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Except that your (k,k)-point in the (x,y)-plane should be replaced with the arbitrary (x_0,y_0)-points, that is the constant values of x and y need not be the same.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I meant k is some constant, I should have specified the two need not be the same.

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do I know when to use the Chain Rule?

You should use the Chain Rule when you have a function within a function, or when the independent variable is being raised to a power. For example, f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^4 or g(x) = sin(x^2).

3. What is the formula for the Chain Rule?

The formula for the Chain Rule is (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x), where f(x) is the outer function and g(x) is the inner function.

4. Can the Chain Rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the function is differentiable at every point.

5. How do I check if I have applied the Chain Rule correctly?

To check if you have applied the Chain Rule correctly, you can simplify your derivative expression and compare it to the original function. You can also plug in values for x and compare the values of the original function and its derivative.