How are ions formed from atoms?

• Thread starter Chemistry101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Ions
In summary: For example, having an electron configuration of 1s2 2p6 makes an atom much more stable than having an electron configuration of 1s2.
Chemistry101
1. How are ions formed from atoms?

Attempt at Solution: From reading books and browsing on the internet I've collected a good amount of information, but I don't completely understand them.

"An ion is formed when an atom gains or loses an electron in bonding with another atom, causing the atom to become a positive or negative ion. Since electrons are negative, if an atom loses an electron, there are more protons (which are positive) than electrons, which causes the atom to become a positive ion (sometimes called a cation.) If an atom gains an electron it becomes a negative ion (or anion.) Ions are most commonly formed when two elements undergo ionic bonding, in which the elements 'give and take' electrons to gain full outer shells."

Can someone interpret that into a simpler format or give an example of an equation to demonstrate.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
when Na loses an electron,e, it becomes Na+

Eq'n: Na - e-->Na+

So Na has 11 protons and 11 electrons. If my teacher gave me a problem like,

Cl-, then the answer would be 17 protons and 18 electrons right cause you add one more?
So I have to know the charges of the groups of the periodic table to figure it out right?

Chemistry101 said:
So Na has 11 protons and 11 electrons. If my teacher gave me a problem like,

Cl-, then the answer would be 17 protons and 18 electrons right cause you add one more?
So I have to know the charges of the groups of the periodic table to figure it out right?

Well you usually you are given a periodic table. But you should learn how the table is put together, for example, all the elements in group 7, in ionic form have a -1 charge [halid ions].

The basic principle is that most (but not all) atoms will strive to have the same number of electrons as the nearest noble gas. Chlorine gains one electron to become the negatively charged chloride ion because gaining an electron gives it the same number of electrons as argon.

Having the same number of electrons as a noble gas (or more importantly, the same electron configuration) makes the atom much more stable.

1. How do atoms become ions?

Atoms become ions by gaining or losing electrons. When an atom gains electrons, it becomes a negatively charged ion, also known as an anion. When an atom loses electrons, it becomes a positively charged ion, also known as a cation.

2. What causes an atom to gain or lose electrons?

An atom gains or loses electrons in order to achieve a stable outer electron configuration. This is because atoms naturally want to have a full outer shell of electrons, which is typically 8 electrons for most atoms. By gaining or losing electrons, atoms can attain a more stable state.

3. Can any atom become an ion?

Yes, any atom has the potential to become an ion by gaining or losing electrons. However, some atoms are more likely to become ions than others. For example, atoms with only one or two valence electrons (electrons in the outermost shell) are more likely to lose electrons and become cations, while atoms with more than four valence electrons are more likely to gain electrons and become anions.

4. How do ions affect the properties of substances?

Ions play a crucial role in determining the properties of substances. Positively charged ions are attracted to negatively charged ions, forming ionic bonds. These bonds are responsible for the structure of many compounds, such as table salt (sodium chloride). Additionally, the presence of ions can affect the boiling and melting points, solubility, and conductivity of substances.

5. Can ions be formed from atoms in all states of matter?

Yes, ions can be formed from atoms in all states of matter. In solids, ions are held together by strong ionic bonds. In liquids, ions are still present and can move around freely, which allows for the conduction of electricity. In gases, ions may be present but are not as closely packed together as in solids and liquids.