What is the speed of the water in the Bernoulli River?

• Thread starter Beastegargoyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Water
In summary, the Bernoulli River is formed by the joining of two rivers, River Pascal with a volume flow rate of 4.7×105L/s and River Archimedes with a volume flow rate of 1.1×106L/s. The Bernoulli River has a width of 130m and a depth of 30m. To find the speed of the water in the Bernoulli River, the equation 4.7×105L/s + 1.1×106L/s = 4.0x(something) is used, with the units of the problem being in m/s. Therefore, the speed of the water in the Bernoulli River is 0.40m/s.
Beastegargoyl

Homework Statement

River Pascal with a volume flow rate of 4.7×105 joins with River Archimedes, which carries 1.1×106 , to form the Bernoulli River. The Bernoulli River is 130 wide and 30 deep.

Homework Equations

Express your answer using two significant figures.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to guesses so far.
0.120 m/s was wrong
1.20 m/s was wrong

Thanks for all the help.
Jared

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jared! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Beastegargoyl said:
River Pascal with a volume flow rate of 4.7×105 joins with River Archimedes, which carries 1.1×106 , to form the Bernoulli River. The Bernoulli River is 130 wide and 30 deep.

I attempted to guesses so far.
0.120 m/s was wrong
1.20 m/s was wrong

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know to help! :smile:

For vfr=4.7*105L/s

I used the equation 4.7*105/3900 equals 1.2m/s

Thanks for the help.
Jared

Hi Jared! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Beastegargoyl said:

Beastegargoyl said:
For vfr=4.7*105L/s

I used the equation 4.7*105/3900 equals 1.2m/s

oh i see … you only used the volume flow rate of River Pascal.

The Bernoulli River contains the water of both River Pascal and River Archimedes. :wink:

@tiny-tim- Did you come up with an answer of .40m/s where that incportates both rivers?

Thanks for your help,

Jared

Beastegargoyl said:
@tiny-tim- Did you come up with an answer of .40m/s where that incportates both rivers?

I go 4.0 times something

what are the units of the problem? :confused:

4.7*105L/s and 1.1*106L/s. 130m wide and 30m deep.

The answer needs to be expressed in m/s.

Beastegargoyl said:
4.7*105L/s and 1.1*106L/s. 130m wide and 30m deep.

The answer needs to be expressed in m/s.

oh, litres! :rolleyes:

ok, then i make it .40m/s :smile:

What is the speed of water?

The speed of water can vary depending on several factors such as the source of the water, the volume of water, and the surrounding environment. In general, the speed of water can range from a slow trickle to a rapid flow.

How do you determine the speed of water?

The speed of water can be determined by using a flow meter or by timing how long it takes for a floating object to travel a known distance. Another method is to use a pitot tube, which measures the pressure of the water flow and converts it into a speed measurement.

What units are used to measure the speed of water?

The speed of water is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second, feet per second, or kilometers per hour. It can also be expressed in other units, such as miles per hour or knots.

How does the speed of water affect its properties?

The speed of water can affect various properties, such as its temperature, pressure, and density. For example, faster-moving water tends to have a lower temperature and higher pressure compared to slower-moving water. It can also impact erosion and sediment transport in rivers and streams.

Can the speed of water change over time?

Yes, the speed of water can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in the surrounding environment, fluctuations in the volume of water, or human impacts such as dams or diversions. It is important to regularly monitor and measure the speed of water to understand these changes and their potential impacts.