Solving the FTC (e^-x^2): Find p(x;y) as a Definite Integral

• Thread starter IsomaDan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the function p(x;y) of two variables, which is defined for x>y>0 and satisfies dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2) and p(y; y) = 0. The goal is to write p(x,y) as a definite integral with bounds that can be obtained from p(y; y) = 0. The conversation also mentions using the one-dimensional problem f(y)=0, df/dx=(e^-x^2) to find the integral. The final solution involves finding the integral and inserting the "restriction" to find the constant.
IsomaDan
The function, p(x;y), of two variables is defi ned for x>y>0, and satisfi es

We furthermore know that dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2)

and that p(y; y) = 0

I now need to write p(x,y) as a definite integral of the form int (f(t)dt, with lower bound t=H and upper bound x.
I suppose I need the info p(y; y) = 0 to get the bounds, but not quite sure how.
Anyone can give me a hint :-)

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
For a fixed y, you know p(y, y) = 0. Based on that, how do you get p(x; y) = 0 with dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2)?

If that does not help, here is a slightly easier problem:
For a fixed y, you can reduce it to a 1-dimensional problem: f(y)=0, df/dx=(e^-x^2). Can you write down f(x) with an integral?

Dear MFB. Thanks so much for your answers. That's much appreciated.

Well, with regards to your answer, I suppose (but do not know) I evaluate the definte integral of dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2), with the bounds being an arbitrary constant and set it equal to zero?

Is that correct, or am I still far off?

best

Dan

I don't understand what you plan to do, or why.

If you know the value of a one-dimensional function at one point and its derivative everywhere, how can you get the value of the function everywhere?
You don't have to evaluate the integral.

If g(0)=3 and g'(x)=x, how does g look like?

Find the integral, and insert the "restriction", to find the constant!

I do know that, my problem however, is it impossible to integrate the function as it stands there.

best

Dan

IsomaDan said:
Find the integral, and insert the "restriction", to find the constant!
That works, right.

I do know that, my problem however, is it impossible to integrate the function as it stands there.
You do not have to integrate that expression. Just write down the integral, and you are done.

1. How is the FTC (e^-x^2) related to solving integrals?

The FTC (Fundamental Theorem of Calculus) states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its anti-derivative. In this case, the function e^-x^2 can be solved using the FTC to find its anti-derivative and thus, solve the integral.

2. What is the process for solving the FTC (e^-x^2)?

The first step is to find the anti-derivative of e^-x^2, which is erf(x). Then, the integral can be written as a definite integral with limits of integration. The limits can be substituted into the anti-derivative and the resulting expression can be evaluated to solve the integral.

3. Why is it important to find p(x;y) as a definite integral for e^-x^2?

Finding the definite integral of e^-x^2 allows us to calculate the probability of an event occurring within a given range. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as statistics and finance.

4. What are some common methods used to solve the FTC (e^-x^2)?

Some common methods include using substitution or integration by parts, using tables of integrals, or using software such as a graphing calculator or computer program.

5. Can the FTC (e^-x^2) be solved using any other techniques?

Yes, there are other techniques such as contour integration and series expansion that can also be used to solve the FTC (e^-x^2). However, these methods may be more advanced and not as commonly used.