Latex Typing on Mac: Tips & How-To's

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter pierce15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Mac
In summary: \lim_x\to\infty...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)...\lim_{x
pierce15
Hello everyone,

In the past few days, I have learned quite a bit of basic Latex. Thank you all for the tips. Now for the question: do macs automatically come with a latex typesetter (I think that this is the case), and if so, how do I use it? Right now, I'm just going to use this post to copy and paste something into an email- I'll delete when I'm done.

P.S. Is there a shortcut so I don't have to keep writing tex before and after everything I write?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of any computer coming aith TeX pre-installed when you buy it, and I just realize that I've been TeXing for nearly 30 years. But you can get a simple-to-install TeX system called "TeX Live" from TUG (TeX User Group) here: http://www.tug.org/texlive/

Michael Redei said:
I've never heard of any computer coming aith TeX pre-installed when you buy it, and I just realize that I've been TeXing for nearly 30 years. But you can get a simple-to-install TeX system called "TeX Live" from TUG (TeX User Group) here: http://www.tug.org/texlive/

I just downloaded something and it looks like this. Do you know how I can do some math in this? I tried entering some commands that I learned and pressed "typeset", but here's what came up:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 6.42.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 6.42.47 PM.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 513
  • Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 6.44.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 6.44.03 PM.png
    48 KB · Views: 542
You can try this small example:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
What's the difference between
$E=mc^2$ and $c=\sqrt{\frac{E}{m}}$?
\end{document}

and then press the "Typeset" button just underneath your "traffic lights". You'll find lots of information on how to use TeX from TUG (www.tug.org).

P.S.: The "documentclass" line is part of this example. I don't know how to get it to stay in that box though.

Michael Redei said:
You can try this small example:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
What's the difference between
$E=mc^2$ and $c=\sqrt{\frac{E}{m}}$?
\end{document}

and then press the "Typeset" button just underneath your "traffic lights". You'll find lots of information on how to use TeX from TUG (www.tug.org).

P.S.: The "documentclass" line is part of this example. I don't know how to get it to stay in that box though.

OK, that worked. Can you explain to me why it didn't work until I added the \documentclass{article} and the \begin/end{document}? Also, is there a preferred document class for writing math equations?

Your program is switched to "LaTeX" mode (as you can see next to the "Typeset" button). LaTeX provides easier formatting of documents, things like tables of contents, inserting figures etc. than PlainTeX. But LaTeX also demands some framework code, the "documentclass" and a "begin-end{document}" pair.

If you just want to typeset a formula, switch to "TeX" a.k.a. "PlainTeX" (next to the "Typeset" button) and try this:

Here is a nice equation:
$\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\ldots}}} = 4$.
Care to prove this?
\bye

and click "Typeset".

Last edited:
Michael Redei said:
Your program is switched to "LaTeX" mode (as you can see next to the "Typeset" button). LaTeX provides easier formatting of documents, things like tables of contents, inserting figures etc. than PlainTeX. But LaTeX also demands some framework code, the "documentclass" and a "begin-end{document}" pair.

If you just want to typeset a formula, switch to "TeX" a.k.a. "PlainTeX" (next to the "Typeset" button) and try this:

Here is a nice equation:
$\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\ldots}}} = 4$.
Care to prove this?
\bye

and click "Typeset".

Thanks a lot! If I need any help I know who to ask :)

Last edited:
By the way, I think I figured out a proof to your problem:

[tex]\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\ldots}}} = x[/tex]
[tex]12+\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\sqrt{12+\ldots}}}=x^2[/tex]
[tex]x^2-x-12=0[/tex]
[tex](x+3)(x-4)=0[/tex]
[tex]x=4 \space or \space x=-3[/tex]

Is there another way of going about this that does not accumulate a negative solution?

P.S. How do you use the $ instead of [tex]? It didn't work for me.

piercebeatz said:
P.S. How do you use the $ instead of [tex]? It didn't work for me.
I used two dollar signs without a space between them, i.e.

$ (no space here) $
Lots of mathematics
$ (no space again) $

Test:

$$
Lots of mathematics
$$

Okay, let's say that was a list of variables, since they're often put in italics :-)

Your solution to the square-root problem is fine, except that x=-3 must be excluded (a root f anything , no matter how complicated, can't be negative and real). I don't know of any direct way of solving that equation, but you did the only thing possible: assume there is some solution x and try to find it.

Michael Redei said:
I used two dollar signs without a space between them, i.e.

$ (no space here) $
Lots of mathematics
$ (no space again) $

Test:

$$
Lots of mathematics
$$

Okay, let's say that was a list of variables, since they're often put in italics :-)

Your solution to the square-root problem is fine, except that x=-3 must be excluded (a root f anything , no matter how complicated, can't be negative and real). I don't know of any direct way of solving that equation, but you did the only thing possible: assume there is some solution x and try to find it.

OK, so if you put a $ $ w/o a space at the top and bottom of a bunch of lines of equations, you don't have to keep inserting the [tex] and [ /tex]?

Test:

$$
\lim_x\to\infty e^(-x)
e^{-\infty}
$$

Works perfectly for me:
$$
\lim_x\to\infty e^(-x)
e^{-\infty}
$$
You need braces around subscripts and superscripts though, and an = or two:

Code:
$$
\lim_{x\to\infty} e^{(-x)} =
e^{-\infty} =
$$
gives you
$$
\lim_{x\to\infty} e^{(-x)} =
e^{-\infty} =
$$

Hmmm... I've been using the preview first before submitting these things. Maybe you should try that too.

Does this work inline with just one dollar at each end? Like $a+b=c$ this?

No :-(

Sorry, but what does inline mean?

piercebeatz said:
Sorry, but what does inline mean?

Inline maths is set "in the line", like ##\tan\alpha = (\sin\alpha)/(\cos\alpha)##, whereas "display-style" maths is set between paragraphs, like
$$
\tan\alpha = \frac{\sin\alpha}{\cos\alpha}.
$$
This can be easier to read, bit it needs more space.

piercebeatz said:
what does inline mean?

"in the middle of a line"

$$
Testing Inline
$$

Awesome, it worked. Thanks for the advice, guys

1. How do I start using Latex typing on my Mac?

To start using Latex typing on your Mac, you will first need to download and install a Latex distribution such as MacTex or BasicTex. Once installed, you can use a text editor such as TexShop or Overleaf to write and compile your Latex documents.

2. How do I insert mathematical equations and symbols in Latex on Mac?

To insert mathematical equations and symbols in Latex on Mac, you will need to use specific Latex commands. For example, to insert a fraction, you would use the \frac{}{} command and replace the curly braces with the numerator and denominator of the fraction. You can also use the equation editor in TexShop or Overleaf for a more user-friendly experience.

3. Can I change the font and font size in Latex on Mac?

Yes, you can change the font and font size in Latex on Mac by using the \text{} command. For example, to change the font to Arial and font size to 12pt, you would use \text{Arial} and \text{12pt} respectively. You can also use other font packages such as \usepackage{helvet} to change the default font for your document.

4. How do I add images and tables in Latex on Mac?

To add images and tables in Latex on Mac, you will need to use the \includegraphics{} and \begin{tabular}{} commands respectively. You will also need to specify the path of the image or table and provide the necessary formatting options. It is recommended to use the graphicx and booktabs packages for better control and formatting of images and tables.

5. Can I collaborate with others on a Latex document on Mac?

Yes, you can collaborate with others on a Latex document on Mac by using online editors such as Overleaf or by using a version control system such as Git. These tools allow multiple users to work on the same Latex document simultaneously and track changes made by each user.