Exploring Theories and Opinions on Dark Matter: A Community Discussion

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of dark matter and the community's opinions and theories on the subject. Personal theories and speculation are not allowed to be discussed on the forum, and it is suggested to refer to the Wikipedia page for a summary of popular theories. The forum's rule against discussing personal ideas and theories is explained as they tend to attract crackpots and do not contribute to productive discussion.
deadcat
Most people come up with their own internal reasoning for things like this that have not been explained. I was curious on the community's various opinions and theories on this subject. I think it would be a fun exercise to help each other evolve our own theories on things like this.

Standard wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific question?

micromass said:
Do you have a specific question?

Yes, I was asking what you think is the explanation behind dark matter? Do you have a theory to offer or explore?

There is a fine line here between personal speculation and discussing published research. The former is not allowed according to forum rules (assuming I remember and interpret them accurately).

I could try to give you a short summary of the published theories that are most popular in the physics community if that is something that would interest you, but the best place to start for that would probably be the Wikipedia page.

deadcat said:
Yes, I was asking what you think is the explanation behind dark matter? Do you have a theory to offer or explore?

As Orodruin said, personal theories and ideas are not allowed to be discussed here. If you have any questions on what dark matter is to mainstream astronomers, feel free to ask.

Drakkith said:
As Orodruin said, personal theories and ideas are not allowed to be discussed here. If you have any questions on what dark matter is to mainstream astronomers, feel free to ask.

That seems like a strange rule for the forum to have, why is that the rule?

This forum is for discussing mainstream scientific theories and concepts. Discussion of personal ideas and theories rarely accomplish anything and tend to attract crackpots, so they are not allowed.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of hypothetical matter that is believed to make up around 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes, and its presence is only inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. Why is dark matter important?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. Its gravitational pull helps to hold galaxies together, and without it, galaxies would not have formed as we know them. Understanding dark matter is essential in understanding the overall functioning of the universe.

3. How is dark matter being studied?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study dark matter, including astronomical observations, computer simulations, and experiments using particle accelerators. These methods help to identify the effects of dark matter on the visible universe and to gain insight into its composition and properties.

4. What are the current theories about dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, including the most widely accepted theory that it is made up of a type of undiscovered particle. Other theories propose modifications to our understanding of gravity or suggest that dark matter does not exist at all.

5. How does the study of dark matter impact our everyday lives?

While dark matter may not directly impact our daily lives, the research and understanding of it can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. Studying dark matter can also help us to better understand the origins and fate of the universe and our place within it.