Register to reply

Thoughts on Dark Matter

by deadcat
Tags: dark, matter
Share this thread:
deadcat
Aug21-14, 02:34 PM
P: 26
Most people come up with their own internal reasoning for things like this that have not been explained. I was curious on the community's various opinions and theories on this subject. I think it would be a fun exercise to help each other evolve our own theories on things like this.

Standard wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chandra X-ray Observatory finds planet that makes star act deceptively old
Astronomers release most detailed catalogue ever made of the visible Milky Way
Planets with oddball orbits like Mercury could host life
micromass
Aug21-14, 02:35 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Do you have a specific question?
deadcat
Aug21-14, 02:39 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Do you have a specific question?
Yes, I was asking what you think is the explanation behind dark matter? Do you have a theory to offer or explore?

Orodruin
Aug21-14, 03:29 PM
P: 672
Thoughts on Dark Matter

There is a fine line here between personal speculation and discussing published research. The former is not allowed according to forum rules (assuming I remember and interpret them accurately).

I could try to give you a short summary of the published theories that are most popular in the physics community if that is something that would interest you, but the best place to start for that would probably be the Wikipedia page.
Drakkith
Aug21-14, 03:51 PM
Mentor
P: 12,003
Quote Quote by deadcat View Post
Yes, I was asking what you think is the explanation behind dark matter? Do you have a theory to offer or explore?
As Orodruin said, personal theories and ideas are not allowed to be discussed here. If you have any questions on what dark matter is to mainstream astronomers, feel free to ask.
deadcat
Aug21-14, 08:14 PM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
As Orodruin said, personal theories and ideas are not allowed to be discussed here. If you have any questions on what dark matter is to mainstream astronomers, feel free to ask.
That seems like a strange rule for the forum to have, why is that the rule?
Drakkith
Aug21-14, 08:26 PM
Mentor
P: 12,003
This forum is for discussing mainstream scientific theories and concepts. Discussion of personal ideas and theories rarely accomplish anything and tend to attract crackpots, so they are not allowed.

Register to reply