Question for the total collisional cross section for the neutrals

by goodphy
Tags: collisional, cross, neutrals
Share this thread:
goodphy
Aug28-14, 03:31 AM
P: 17
Hello.

I'm trying to calculate the total collisional cross section of the hydrogen atom impacted with the proton. (ion of the hydrogen plasma)

I've found many good papers but they're showing specific cross section, for example, total cross section when n = 1 state is direct-excited to n = 2 when the proton impacts on the hydrogen atom.

The original motivation of this calculation is to compute the diffusion coefficient of the ion in hydrogen plasma and I became confused of concept of the total cross section.

In order to obtain proper cross section for my purpose, Should I sum up all cross sections for possible excitations or average them?

I guess the latter is right since there are infinite possible excitations such that the all sum up should results in infinite value.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)

Register to reply