Fixing Broken Glue: The Best Method for Restoring Adhesive Strength?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for fixing broken glue, including using earthenware shards or broken plastic computer parts. It is also mentioned that gluing glue together requires skill and should not be attempted at home. The conversation also touches on the topic of "gluons" and "pasties", and ends with a humorous method of sealing glue in a tube for future use.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My glue is broken.

Does anyone know how I can put it back together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chi Meson said:
My glue is broken.
Does anyone know how I can put it back together?
I've heard that you can use earthenware shards to hold it together, or possibly even broken plastic computer parts. :biggrin:

Gluing glue together requires considerable skill and that is usually attained by several years apprenticeship to a glue gluer. Don't try this at home and don't confuse any of this with "gluons".

Evo said:
I've heard that you can use earthenware shards to hold it together, or possibly even broken plastic computer parts. :biggrin:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

zoobyshoe said:
don't confuse any of this with "gluons".
You mean "pasties"?

Evo said:
You mean "pasties"?
That's EXACTLY what I mean.

OW!

Warning to others. Don't try TIG welding.OW.

I find an ideal way is to put it in a tube and seal it the best you can, then leave it in a drawer until you need to use it. You'll then find it as a perfectly bonded solid lump.

matthyaouw said:
I find an ideal way is to put it in a tube and seal it the best you can, then leave it in a drawer until you need to use it. You'll then find it as a perfectly bonded solid lump.
Oh, yes, that's a tried and true method. I've found it to be an infallible approach. :rofl:

1. How long does it take for glue to dry?

The drying time for glue can vary depending on the type of glue used, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the materials being glued together. Generally, most glues will dry within 24 hours, but it is best to check the specific instructions on the glue packaging for a more accurate drying time.

2. Can I use any type of glue to put something back together?

No, it is important to use the right type of glue for the materials you are trying to glue together. For example, wood glue is best for wood materials, while super glue is better for small, delicate items. It is important to read the instructions and choose the appropriate glue for your specific project.

3. How do I remove excess glue?

If you accidentally get glue on your skin or other surfaces, you can use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to gently dissolve and remove the excess glue. You can also use a scraper or sandpaper to carefully scrape off any dried glue.

4. Can I repair something with already dried glue?

It is possible to repair something with dried glue, but it may not be as strong as using fresh glue. You can try adding a small amount of fresh glue to the dried glue and pressing the pieces together, but it is best to use fresh glue for the strongest bond.

5. How can I make sure my glued item will hold together?

In order to ensure a strong bond, it is important to properly prepare the surfaces being glued together. This may include cleaning and sanding the surfaces, using the appropriate amount and type of glue, and applying pressure to the glued pieces for the recommended amount of time. Following the instructions on the glue packaging will also help to ensure a successful bond.