Mean & Variance of X: Solving Confusing Problem w/sin(θ)

• Thread starter SomeRandomGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the problem asks to find the mean and variance of X, where X is the sine of the angle theta chosen uniformly from (-pi/2,pi/2). The support of X is [-1,1] and the resulting density function is \frac{1}{4\pi}. To find the mean, we integrate X times the probability density function from -1 to 1. The integral of 1 from -2pi to 2pi is 4pi, which is used to find the uniform distribution density.
SomeRandomGuy
Let X be the sin of the angle theta in radians chosen uniformly from (-pi/2,pi/2). Find the mean and variance of X. HINT: X = sin(theta). Specify the support of X and check to see if your result describes a p.d.f.

Anyone got any idea's? I managed to solve the majority of other problems and don't even know where to begin this one. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the sine of any angle is between -1 and 1 the "support of X" is
[-1,1]. The integral of 1 from [itex]-2\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] is [itex]4\pi[/itex] so the "uniform distribution" density is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi} [/itex]. The mean value of X will, of course, be
[tex]\int_{-1}^1X P(X)dX= \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
The integral of 1 from [itex]-2\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] is [itex]4\pi[/itex] so the "uniform distribution" density is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi} [/itex].

First, i'd like to thank you for your response. I understand everything you said except what I left in quotes. Why did you integrate 1 from -2pi to 2pi? Other than that, I already had the support being [-1,1] and I know how to find mean and variance when given some P(X).

What is the mean of a set of data?

The mean is the average value of a set of data. It is calculated by adding all the values in the set and dividing by the number of values in the set.

How do you calculate the mean of a set of data?

To calculate the mean, add all the values in the set and then divide by the number of values in the set. For example, if you have the set of data {2, 5, 9, 12}, you would add 2+5+9+12=28, and then divide by 4 to get a mean of 7.

What is the variance of a set of data?

The variance is a measure of how spread out the values are in a set of data. It is calculated by finding the difference between each value and the mean, squaring those differences, and then finding the average of those squared differences.

How do you calculate the variance of a set of data?

To calculate the variance, first find the mean of the set of data. Then, for each value, subtract the mean and square the difference. Find the average of all the squared differences to get the variance. This can also be written as the sum of (x-mean)^2 divided by the number of values in the set.

How does solving a confusing problem with sin(θ) relate to mean and variance of X?

The mean and variance of X are important statistical measures that can help analyze and interpret data. Solving a confusing problem with sin(θ) involves using mathematical techniques to find the mean and variance of a set of data. This can provide valuable insights and understanding about the underlying patterns and relationships within the data.