Rotation Energy Levels and Degeneracy.

In summary, solving the Schrödinger equation for a diatomic gas in spherical coordinates results in rotational energy levels given by \epsilon_l = K\cdot l(l+1), where l is the rotational quantum number and K is a constant. Each energy level has a degeneracy of g_l = 2l+1, meaning that there are 2l+1 possible values for the quantum number m. This is necessary because the energy of the molecule depends only on the magnitude and not the orientation of the angular momentum vector, so additional quantum numbers are needed to specify the state. For example, in the case of the hydrogen atom, three quantum numbers (n, l, and m) are needed to fully characterize an
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Solving the Schrödinger equation in spherical coordinates for a diatomic gas, one finds that the rotational energy leves are given by:

[tex]\epsilon_l=K\cdot l(l+1)[/tex] where [tex]l=0,1,2...[/tex] is the rotational quantum number and K is a constant.

It is said that each energy level shows a degeneracy of [tex]g_l=2l+1[/tex].

I understand Degeneracy occurs if for different energy levels one has the same value of energy. Is that right?. Is every quantum number representing an energy level? If that, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is a single valued function of [tex]l[/tex], so I cannot have the same energy for different quantum numbers. How is the thing of [tex]g_l[/tex] obtained, and how is it physically interpretable for let's say [tex]l=1[/tex]?.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Degeneracy occurs when you have different eigenstates having the same energy. In this case the quantum number 'l' is apparently not enough to completely specify the state, you also need a quantum number 'm' which ranges from -l to +l in integer steps, so that gives a degeneracy level of 2l+1.

Galileo said:
Degeneracy occurs when you have different eigenstates having the same energy.
So that means that for different [tex]l[/tex] which is a multiple of the eigenvalue I have to have the same energy.

In this case the quantum number 'l' is apparently not enough to completely specify the state, you also need a quantum number 'm' which ranges from -l to +l in integer steps, so that gives a degeneracy level of 2l+1.

I don't see that. Can you elaborate that a little bit more?. Also I don't see the logic of the the "so that" you are using.

Thanks.

Clausius2 said:
So that means that for different [tex]l[/tex] which is a multiple of the eigenvalue I have to have the same energy.
No, you can't have different l's and the same energy, because in this case E=l(l+1)K, so states with different l's have different energies. There's another quantum number needed to specify a state, which does not affect the energy, that's m.

Consider the hydrogen atom. An eigenstate requires three quantum numbers to characterize: n, l and m, where n is a positive integer, l can range from 0 to n-1 and m from -l to l (all in integer steps). In this case the energy is only dependent on n. So all states with the same n, but different l and m have the same energy. The degeneracy of the n'th energy level is n^2 (it's just counting, see below).

I don't see that. Can you elaborate that a little bit more?. Also I don't see the logic of the the "so that" you are using.

Thanks.
Well, I haven't looked at or solved the Schrodinger equation for this case. I assumed it was similar to a rigid rotor system. The angular part of the wave function are described by spherical harmonics which have two quantum numbers l and m. m ranges from -l to l in integer steps, so given l, m can take the values l, l-1, l-2, ..., 0, -1, -2, ..., -l. If you count, that are 2l+1 possible values for m (1,2,..,l gives l values, -1,-2,..,-l another l, plus the 0 gives 2l+1 total).

Last edited:
Galileo said:
Well, I haven't looked at or solved the Schrodinger equation for this case. I assumed it was similar to a rigid rotor system.
It is the rigid rotor, isn't it?

Clausius, you could think of the energy of the molecule as depending only on the magnitude and not the orientation of the angular momentum vector. For any given [tex]l[/tex], you can picture each [itex]m_l[/itex] as corresponding to a different orientation of the angular momentum about some fixed axis (with the constraint that there are only a limited number of such allowed orientations).

What are rotation energy levels?

Rotation energy levels refer to the different energy states that a molecule can have based on its rotational motion. These levels are quantized, meaning that the molecule can only have certain discrete energy values.

How does degeneracy relate to rotation energy levels?

Degeneracy refers to the number of energy levels that have the same energy value. In the context of rotation energy levels, degeneracy means that multiple rotational states can have the same energy value. This is due to the fact that rotation can occur in different axes and orientations, resulting in the same energy level.

What factors affect the degeneracy of rotation energy levels?

The degeneracy of rotation energy levels is influenced by the size and shape of the molecule, as well as the type of bonding present. Larger and more complex molecules tend to have higher degeneracy due to the increased number of possible rotational orientations.

How does temperature affect the distribution of rotation energy levels?

At higher temperatures, molecules have more thermal energy and are able to access higher rotational energy levels. This leads to a broader distribution of energy levels and a decrease in the overall degeneracy of the levels. At lower temperatures, molecules are limited to lower energy levels, resulting in a higher degeneracy.

What is the significance of degeneracy in rotational spectroscopy?

In rotational spectroscopy, the degeneracy of rotation energy levels is important because it affects the frequencies at which molecules can absorb and emit electromagnetic radiation. The degeneracy of energy levels determines the allowed transitions, and the frequencies of these transitions can provide valuable information about the molecular structure and bonding.